Wood Stove Recommendations (Economy Friendly)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baddshah00711

Jul 24, 2022
Northern VA
New to the wood stove life. I need some help with some wood stove suggestions. We are looking for an economy friendly stove that could heat up a 1600 square foot space. Any recommendations out there. Budget would be $1500 to $2000. Thanks!

Drolet, Englander, Century, and True North have reliable brands in this price range. How open is the floorplan to where the stove will be located? One or two-story home?

Reactions: Mel W and Dalzona
Drolet, Englander, Century, and True North have reliable brands in this price range. How open is the floorplan to where the stove will be located? One or two-story home?
We have a 2-story home. Walk out basement and the main level. The woodstove would be in the basement with an open floorplan with another room for storage and laundry. Basement is 1600 square feet.

I'm trying to figure out how large of a stove will work. Will the stove only be heating the basement? Is the basement wide open or partitioned? It sounds like the basement is finished, but just in case, is the basement insulated or bare walls?

Will the stove only be heating the basement? Is the basement wide open or partitioned? And is the basement insulated or bare walls?
The stove is mainly for the basement. If I can get the hot air to blow up the stairs that's a bonus. The rec area where the stove will be is wide open. Entire basement is insulated.

Is your just for the stove or including the stove pipe and chimney?

The stove is mainly for the basement. If I can get the hot air to blow up the stairs that's a bonus. The rec area where the stove will be is wide open. Entire basement is insulated.
It sounds like a 2-2.5 cu ft stove will get the job done. Checkout the popular Drolet Escape 1800. If you want heat upstairs and the stairwell is wide open, then a 3 cu ft stove like the Drolet Legend III or HT3000 or Englander 32-NC will get the job done.

It sounds like a 2-2.5 cu ft stove will get the job done. Checkout the popular Drolet Escape 1800. If you want heat upstairs and the stairwell is wide open, then a 3 cu ft stove like the Drolet Legend III or HT3000 or Englander 32-NC will get the job done.
Thank you for the recommendations. Are the Ashley Hearth brands worth looking at?

Thank you for the recommendations. Are the Ashley Hearth brands worth looking at?
Used to be ok, but I don't know with US Stove as the parent. I have not looked at one in person in a while so I am unsure as to its origin.

Last time I looked at an Ashley free standing stove it was made in China my Ashley furnace does not say where its made.

Last time I looked at an Ashley free standing stove it was made in China my Ashley furnace does not say where its made.
I thought that might be the case.