Wood stove reducing fossil fuels.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's keep replies to this about burning practices as that is what is appropriate considering the room this thread is in.

Reactions: oldspark
Has anyone considered that burning all this fossil fuel just may lessen the severity of the next cooling period or mini ice age. IF we get that brutal winter that FA predicts, we wont hear too many complaints about global warming. 1200 low temp records for july may be a trend.

I cool month is not a trend, and its been pointed out in the other threads that FA track record is about as reliable as a coin toss.

weather x= climate.

Haven't had to use it in a while, but I'm sure it still works

wl2mte.jpg

I suspect some of the OWB's are not designed to burn dry wood efficiently. I've had two firewood customers (both have traditional OWB's) tell me that well dried wood just burns up too fast in their wood boiler. One actually prefers green wood and the other wanted un-split rounds that were partially seasoned. Both went through amounts that would last me 3 years. Local Central Boiler advertising pushes the "safe wood heat" aspect of the outside location of the boiler. No mention of efficiency or ability to burn green wood but I know the "ok to burn green wood" is promoted.

I suspect some of the OWB's are not designed to burn dry wood efficiently. I've had two firewood customers (both have traditional OWB's) tell me that well dried wood just burns up too fast in their wood boiler. One actually prefers green wood and the other wanted un-split rounds that were partially seasoned. Both went through amounts that would last me 3 years. Local Central Boiler advertising pushes the "safe wood heat" aspect of the outside location of the boiler. No mention of efficiency or ability to burn green wood but I know the "ok to burn green wood" is promoted.
I was just reading where this person went to a dealer and the dealer recomended the older style OWB (he had both) because the new ones (ph 2 I believe ) took more maintenace and only burnt dry wood, they need to get on board as the smoking OWB's (burning practices maybe at fault) are being outlawed in many places.
I too wonder about the green wood in some of the OWB's.

I think where we can all help out is to spread the word to burn good season wood. Dry wood makes wood stoves work better and more efficiently with lower emissions. Plus you should be able to use less wood by burning wood for heating and not burning wood to boil water.

I found the one article interesting that 10 million wood stoves in the USA only 3-4 million are EPA stoves. Would be nice to see the Government, up their rebate program to spark more interest and make stoves more affordable for those who cant afford to upgrade their stoves.

One interesting aspect of the secondary air wood stoves is its a given you will use good dry wood or the stove will drive you crazy trying to get it to operate.

When I told a friend of my SIL's that he had to burn off the water in his greenish wood I got a blank stare, oh well, just burning good dry woood will help with the emissions EPA stove or not. I am sure some of the EPA' s stoves are not being sold do to lack of knowledge about the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.