Wood Stove Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeRahn

Aug 21, 2021
Alberta
Hello All,

First time on this forum and hoping someone would have a suggestion on a wood stove for my situation.

My current wood stove does not meet clearance requirements, so I need to have it replaced with one that does. I would really like to keep the tiled alcove and not start a full blown construction project to meet clearances.

I have attached photos of the measurements and the alcove.

Any help would be appreciated!

20210821_154037.jpg 20210527_143958.jpg

That's a nice alcove. It looks like something will fit. How large an area are you heating with the stove?

Very nice alcove.looks like a stove canadian tire sold years ago.whats the issue with the clearances?I know insurance companies can be real dicks nowadays.

Looks like an old Haughs. Not sure what the clearance requirements were for that stove.

Jotul F45 v2 looks like it might work. I’m sure there are others but it’s the first one that came to mine. Note you can’t use short legs. quick answer, might not be the best option but it was my first thought. Keep looking. Check out the cleaning procedure. It’s not quick.

evan

E5F50A8C-77E3-47CA-A6B7-F0B45AD2357C.png

Reactions: JoeRahn
Need a confirmation of height and width of the alcove, also is that 8" single wall pipe or is it 6" double wall?
Did you build the alcove? If you did, did you use steel studs and cement board, cause then the width potion of measurements would actually extend to the nearest combustibles which in construction theory add 3-4" on each side of the stove.

Very nice alcove.looks like a stove canadian tire sold years ago.whats the issue with the clearances?I know insurance companies can be real dicks nowadays.
Doesnt meet for height above and sides. It isn't rated very well, so it has large clearance requirements.

Need a confirmation of height and width of the alcove, also is that 8" single wall pipe or is it 6" double wall?
Did you build the alcove? If you did, did you use steel studs and cement board, cause then the width potion of measurements would actually extend to the nearest combustibles which in construction theory add 3-4" on each side of the stove.
It is 6 inch double wall for everything except the single for the 90's (will be replacing with double wall). I have attached the alcove measurements as well.

It was built when we purchased the house, although I believe it is just tile on drywall.

Thanks for the input!

281185-8eb41973b9fc515165c5597d215a8e7f.jpg

The F45 is a good fit for that sized area. It fits width-wise and just squeaks in for alcove height.

Reactions: JoeRahn and EbS-P