Wood stove suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chhamilton

Jul 22, 2021
Montreal, Quebec
I'm looking for a wood stove that could sit comfortably on top of a custom built steel base, in front of a large window (the base spans the whole 10' wide window and doubles as a bench). Something simple, and contemporary, without its own base, associated storage, etc.

Basically, I really like the look of the Stuv 16 series of stoves, but the single burn rate and lack of control is a turn off. I do like that the fresh air intake is below the stove, and able to be hidden in the custom-built base.

Any suggestions from the very knowledgeable folks here? The space to heat is 1600 sqft. The location is in the Laurentians, so quite cold in winter. It won't be the primary heat source but I'd like it to be sufficient in the event of a power outage.

Have you checked out sbi products,drolet ,osburn,enerzone,right close to you,just saying

I haven't found a single model that's not on feet or a pedestal. Ideally I'm looking for a box that I can sit on a metal shelf. So far the only thing I found was the Stuv. I've spent untold hours on various stove makers web sites, but I figured I could always ask the collective wisdom here to see if there was anything I had missed.

It also looks like another single burn rate unit. But thanks for the suggestion!
Single burn rate doesn’t bother me if it’s a non cat stove. Flipping the bypass everyone I added a single log or two for a low heat fire would be annoying. After experience with high and low btu wood I am ok with single burn rate. My stove spends 90% of the time at or near it’s lowest setting after I start/relight.

Cat or no cat would be a bigger deciding factor.

The blaze king princess (and king if you want a monster with 8” flue) has a 4” base that looks pretty unobtrusive. Boxer has short legs.
The Osborn would look the best in my head from what you have described.

Someone will probably chime and a say something about a stove near glass can be problematic. Is it a 10’ single pane?

Single burn rate doesn’t bother me if it’s a non cat stove. Flipping the bypass everyone I added a single log or two for a low heat fire would be annoying. After experience with high and low btu wood I am ok with single burn rate. My stove spends 90% of the time at or near it’s lowest setting after I start/relight.

Cat or no cat would be a bigger deciding factor.

The blaze king princess (and king if you want a monster with 8” flue) has a 4” base that looks pretty unobtrusive. Boxer has short legs.
The Osborn would look the best in my head from what you have described.

Someone will probably chime and a say something about a stove near glass can be problematic. Is it a 10’ single pane?
I am sorry but single burn rate is the biggest cop out from a stove manufacturer. They don't want to spend the time and effort to make the stove work properly at more than one setting. No way I would ever buy or recommend one. To me I don't see any way they could be considered a real heater

I am sorry but single burn rate is the biggest cop out from a stove manufacturer. They don't want to spend the time and effort to make the stove work properly at more than one setting. No way I would ever buy or recommend one. To me I don't see any way they could be considered a real heater
There have been some good reviews for a few models including the MF Fire Nova. There is a market for these units. Folks use wood stoves for different reasons. Many just want an easy-to-operate stove for nights and weekends or power outages. Others just want a room or area heater. They may not be ideal for 24/7 whole-house heating, but they are still real heaters that satisfy a need. If they perform better due to less operator error, then that can be a good feature.

Novo supreme? Pedestal is optional and specifically calls out that it works with a custom base…

OK, so that said, the Novo Supreme is the first stove that came to mind based on what is sold in the US. It comes in 3 sizes, can be installed without the pedestal base and has operator air control.