Wood stove to pellets conversion with a twist....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Machwon169

Oct 30, 2020
nJ
I recently moved in my new house. It has a oil burner and I used to heat my old house with a wood stove. The new house has a ancient wood stove it works but no glass to see... no blower... etc...

I want to convert it to a pellet stove... from my measurements I beleive it’s a 7” pipe... but it has a Z in it. I will post a picture below....

My question is can I get a 3” to 6” pellet adapter and then a 6-7” adapter and connect it and would it work fine? Draft issues? Etc? The problem is I can’t go out the wall and I can’t go anywhere else out the roof due to sky lights

Reason for the pellet stove is young kids and they need to want to put wood in the fire and I don’t want them getting hurt...

Attachments

• 273180B4-AA9A-46C1-A162-FB442759C2D4.jpeg
    273180B4-AA9A-46C1-A162-FB442759C2D4.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 163
I recently moved in my new house. It has a oil burner and I used to heat my old house with a wood stove. The new house has a ancient wood stove it works but no glass to see... no blower... etc...

I want to convert it to a pellet stove... from my measurements I beleive it’s a 7” pipe... but it has a Z in it. I will post a picture below....

My question is can I get a 3” to 6” pellet adapter and then a 6-7” adapter and connect it and would it work fine? Draft issues? Etc? The problem is I can’t go out the wall and I can’t go anywhere else out the roof due to sky lights

Reason for the pellet stove is young kids and they need to want to put wood in the fire and I don’t want them getting hurt...
That stove looks like a pretty modern jotul. With 6* double wall pipe. You may get away with adapting to the 6" chimney or you could drop a 3 or 4" liner through it

Small kids do very well with wood stoves. Give it a try first. Pellet stoves are noisy, expensive to buy, and expensive to run and maintain.

If you must, lots of folks adapt from 6” to pellet vent. It’s an approved installation for many pellet stoves. Usually the adapter goes on right at the ceiling support box. Check out the pellet section of this forum. Lots of examples.

Reactions: bholler
Raised 3 kids and always had a wood stove. Never had an issue and now as adults they run wood stoves.

Get a tri-fold fireplace screen and place it in front of the stove for a simple barrier.

I’m not sure how old it is... I do know i don’t like having no glass.
Is there a ul tag on the back of the stove ? It is very likely that you could get a glass door or glass for that door.

Reactions: moresnow
This is the first time I have seen a Castine without the glass. Are there clips holding in a metal plate in there that could be replaced with glass?
Take a picture of the factory label on the back of the stove and post it here and another one of the inner side of the door showing how the metal plate is held in.

The Castine did have a blower option. Sometimes though, it's not necessary. Depending on the floorplan, moving cold air from another section of the house can also be effective.

This is the first time I have seen a Castine without the glass. Are there clips holding in a metal plate in there that could be replaced with glass?
Take a picture of the factory label on the back of the stove and post it here and another one of the inner side of the door showing how the metal plate is held in.

The Castine did have a blower option. Sometimes though, it's not necessary. Depending on the floorplan, moving cold air from another section of the house can also be effective.
It is entirely possible the glass was broken and replaced with metal. I have seen that lots of times.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yes, that is what I am suspecting.

We have young kids and a wood stove. We put a adjustable metal gate around the stove and no problems. I am the same way about wanting to see the fire. I would give what you have a try you have nothing to lose.

Yea, as I saw the picture, It had to to be a Jotul. I to, am guessing it was a glass door. See my avatar picture, that's your door. Jotul's are one of the best stoves out there. You may have a diamond in the rough, I would look carefully at the condition of the stove. Clean up the inside and look for internal cracks of the base, corners. Look to Jotul for the glass replacement, as they have special glass that's made for wood stove extreme temperatures. I have't replaced a glass, but I would look for detailed instructions. I envision improper torquing of the clips would be an issue.

We all understand your concerns with the kids and the stove. It must be a human and animal instinct that we are born with. Once they feel the heat they won't touch.