Wood Stove.. too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyndra

Feb 7, 2008
CO Prairie
So, we have a 1400 sqft ranch house, with a 1400sqft basement. The Englander is going in the basement where we are adding 2 bedrms, a bath and a family room. Because the stove is in the basement, and hoping to heat partially upstairs too, would we go with the Englander 30, or would the 13 suffice? Just wondering about the natural "heat rising" thing, plus, some of the basement rooms will be closed of due to non use for a good deal of the time. Just wondering if we are going for "overkill" if we go with the 30. Thanks for any thoughts.

Cyndra on the Prairie

There's a thread on here about stoves in the basement. Are the walls in your basement insulated? The person was complaining that he couldn't get the basement warm, because the cement block was sucking all the heat up. I'll see if I can find the post.

Hey Marky...

Yeah, we just finished framing the entire basement... we have concrete walls and a walkout sliding door to the backyard. We are framing and drywalling... adding a bit of insulation and carpet. The stove was originally for "emergencies" because we tend to lose power during big storms. But, we also have 5 kids that will be popping in and out from college etc. Their rooms will be in the basement. So, we need warmth. I mentioned in another post that the stove will be directly over our master bedroom, so we hope to gain some heat there as well, keeping the furnace off when we can.

That's our story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for your help. We appreciate it.

Cyndra

Sounds like your place is going to be a bit "boxed up" with finished roons in the basement. Kind of hard for heat to naturally reach all areas like you are describing. If you are trying to heat the entire house, you may want to keep the option open for a wood furnace, which would tie into your existing ductwork. And heat the whole house evenly.

You'll want to do an excellent job of insulating the basement. Don't forget to caulk the sill plate first. Be sure you are not sealing in air leaks into the walls.

The 30 NC might not be overkill if the stove is centrally located and there is a large open stairway for the heat to get upstairs. However, if the basement is partitioned a lot and the stove is off in a corner with a narrow stairway in another area heading upstairs, it probably won't work. A floor plan layout would help. Can you post a picture of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.