Wood stove was painted with wrong paint. How to fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

contulmiau

Jan 13, 2014
wilton, CT
Hi, we bought a house with a wood stove in the basement. It's all black, including the pipe that leads outside. When we tried to make a fire in it, the smoke alarm went off and it smelled funny, smokier than it should have. We had two guys from a chimney cleaning company come by, and they said that apparently the stove and the pipe were painted with the wrong kind of paint, which smokes when in contact with heat. We are of course mad at the previous owner for going that low in order to "flip" the house, but we are also disappointed for not being able to use the stove. Any ideas of what can be done? (Other than buying a new stove?) Thank you!

Are you sure it isn't painted with regular stove paint. Even stove paint will smoke and sink for the first couple of fires. Any idea what he could have painted it with?

What did they say about the condition of the stove? My concern would be that the stove could have been painted to cover flaws. What is the stove make/model?

If they did use regular paint, the best thing to do it remove it and repaint with hi-temp stove paint.

Reactions: lopiliberty
First thing I would do is contact the seller if possible to find out exactly what sort of paint was put on the stove. If you can get that information then you can formulate a plan on how to remediate the situation. Just about any sort of paint can be removed with the correct approach in my experience. That's not to say a lot of elbow grease won't be involved. It could end up being possible to burn the stove at progressively hotter temperatures while running an exhaust fan out a window until the smoking/smelling paint is gone or done off gassing. Of course, if you don't know what you are dealing with I wouldn't start with this as my first option or try it without the proper type of fire extinguisher on hand! If you really do have the wrong type of paint on the stove you might be able to use a chemical paint stripper of the proper type for the paint and remove it before prepping it and repainting it with the correct high temperature stove paint. Good Luck.

It looks like its an All Nighter from 1978. The guys who came to the house didn't do any painting. They came to check why it was smoking and that's what they told us (although I am not sure how experienced they were; they looked like they were in their early twenties; sorry for discrimination). Here are some pics.

How do I check what it was painted with? If it is normal to smoke, when will that stop? We haven;t used the stove since that last time since we are concerned about the fumes.

2014-01-13 15.49.30.jpg2014-01-13 15.49.45.jpg 2014-01-13 15.49.55.jpg

If this is conventional lacquer spray paint then lacquer thinner will take it right off - before it is baked. Heat will change it chemically and I'm not sure removal will be as easy. If this is stove brite, acetone is the solvent. Maybe do a test on the back side to see what removes the paint best?

And get rid of the metal tape, that does not belong on stove connector pipe. It is not rated for the high temps the pipe will see. Get if off before it too becomes a baked-on mess.

PS: The stove appears to be missing its legs, but maybe that is just the angle of the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: CenterTree
It has legs, I just didnt take good pictures. The metal tape was actually put on by the two guys who came to look at the stove. It does appear that they dont know what they were doing, I guess. I will try acetone and lacquer thinner to see if that's going to work. If normal stove paint was used, how many times is it normal for it to smoke?

Please don't tell me you paid these guys for the tape job.

You definitely have more problems with your installation than simply the wrong paint! With all that tape on the pipe and elbows it's pretty clear the stove must have been leaking smoke or creosote why would someone attempt to seal the joints in that way? I would get things checked out by a real stove guy if you don't have the knowledge yourself. It is apparent the guys you had check it aren't all that knowledgeable if they did not talk to you about removing the tape on your pipe and checking out why it was put on there in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't know much about wood stoves. We called a local company once to see if they will do maintenance for our stove and they said that 1978 stoves won't pass the current regulations and standards and that they don't service them for that reason. I guess we'll keep looking for someone who is willing to take on the job, or just will get a new stove eventually. Although throwing out this one seems like a waste....

Being an older stove, what about a angle grinder with a wire wheel? Might be able to take all the paint off, and then you can really inspect the stove

There is the option to sell it "as is" on craigslist for $200 and get a decent new stove that will burn cleaner and use less wood.

I wouldn't even begin to attempt removing the paint -just cook it.

Burn it long enough and the paint smell will go away. Just get through air flow going with a fan on low in a window and keep the stove going all day on a Saturday while you are home. Close off the basement and check on it often. Keep increasing the temps(get a magnetic therm) and have at it.

The stove is dated and unlikely to pass any insurance inspection so has little value - probably in the .25 - .50 cents per lb. Use it in a pole barn or work shop and replace it with a quality modern stove when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.