Wood stoves under tarps???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stover

Jan 18, 2007
Hello. I have made a tarp shelter to store my lawn mower, gardening supplies etc. in our back yard. It is approximately 15 ft. tall and 10ft x 16". The sides of the shelter are mostly open. I would like to be able to heat this area in the winter for doing projects. First, is it safe to have a wood stove in this situation (if not, any suggestions?), what kind of stove would be best and how would I vent it. Thank you very much!
Stover

stover said:
Hello. I have made a tarp shelter to store my lawn mower, gardening supplies etc. in our back yard. It is approximately 15 ft. tall and 10ft x 16". The sides of the shelter are mostly open. I would like to be able to heat this area in the winter for doing projects. First, is it safe to have a wood stove in this situation (if not, any suggestions?), what kind of stove would be best and how would I vent it. Thank you very much!
Stover

The big question I would have is how you would vent a woodstove in a tarped enclosure? Clearance to combustibles would be a big issue... I also don't think a woodstove would be a good choice as a stove is mostly intended to put out moderate amounts of heat for a long period of time. As much heat as a tarp shelter would leak I doubt it would help much. You would probably be better off with one of those "torpedo" heaters you sometimes see on construction sites. Those put out some CO, but aren't all that nasty if the space is well ventilated which is what it sounds like you are dealing with. However you may have trouble getting one as some juriscictions are playing Big Momma, and not allowing you to purchase them any more.

Gooserider

Coleman makes a small catalytic heater that uses those Coleman propane tanks, is small, is portable and if you place it near a corner that is somewhat vented, can be safely used. Actually, it puts out a lot of heat that you could fire it off and then shut it off for a bit. I've used it in winter car camping before in a regular car camping tent....

Jay

For a tarp building I'd probably buy a kerosene Rediheater or something. A wood stove would take too long to heat up, you would have to worry about exhaust, codes, etc. Too many problems.

While I believe the garage type heaters should be used in a vented area (I wouldn't trust them any other way) they certainly have a place and your shed seems like a place for them.

Matt

A wood stove would be useless as mentioned too long to heat up nothing to collect radient heat and proximity to gasoline power motors is never a good idea
Others mentioned venting? a propane portable construction heater is your best choice. there is nothing in there to absorb heat or store it that rules out a wood stove.

Lowes is selling all heaters 50% off and also large propane tanks

Lowes has 55K BTU multi-fuel salamanders on sale for $99. Just picked one up for the garage. works great on low-sulfur diesel.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.