Q&A Wood vs. Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am having a hard time determining if I want to purchase a wood or pellet fireplace insert. I have 2800 square foot home that I would like to heat with the insert. I understand that a pellet stove burns more efficiently, it less messy, and very easy to maintain. However, I do not want to loose the "aesthetics" that a burning log gives off.

My heating bills average about $200/mo. ( I live in California ).

What key factors should I consider when faced with this decision? Recommendations?

Answer:

Prices of the different fuels. Find out more at http://chi.hearth.com/addcalc.html

Also, does the electric go out? If so, consider that a Pellet Stove needs power. Do you have cheap or free access to wood fuel? Some Pellet stoves have better looking flames than others, so be sure to see a burning model before you buy.

Link: Fuel Cost Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.