Wood wagon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

binfordw

Jun 30, 2014
Indiana
Been reading through this forum lately, thought I would share pictures of a wagon I made for my dad a few years ago. He uses a wheelbarrow to pack his wood to the house, and the path is tight around trees in spots, gets tricky when snows on the ground. He slipped the last year using it and goofed his knee up kinda bad.

Its a self propelled 6.5hp wagon, 5 speed/reverse. Lever to select gear, lever to engage drive. Safety bar on handle much like a push mower- kills engine and stops wagon, incase you slip/fall etc.

Was really impressed with performance, you can stuff it full of heavy wood, and it will drag 2 grown men trying to stop it. Also climbs a heck of a grade. 5th gear is a fast walking pace I'd say.

Made a semi- full CAD model of this out of the parts I designed/cut. Had slight daydreams of making another to sell, but doubt I could make anything off one really. I intended to use a hydrostatic transaxle for the next- would be less linkage and more user friendly to operate.

gotta find some brakes, or a lower trans gear to hold that puppy back going down grades......love it

gotta find some brakes, or a lower trans gear to hold that puppy back going down grades......love it

Thanks guys,

The transaxles are such a reduction there is no "runaway" feel on down grades. Even without a belt they are really hard to spin- when drive is engaged the engine is directly connected- so good engine braking on top of that gives a really controlled feel. It acts just like a lawn mower of course.

Looks like a snow blower or tiller with a bed.

Hydro tranny? Does that mean it would also have a hyd dump bed? Might as well add a small grapple, hyd saw, splitter too. I could rock a mini harvester / proccessor. LOL.

Reactions: BoiledOver
That's cool! There are many times I wish I had something like that instead of the wheel barrow for the 50 yard trip I make. I wish you were within local driving distance from me!

Looks just like a DR Power Wagon...
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/haulers/powerwagons/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415370292.662239.jpg

Looks like a snow blower or tiller with a bed.

Hydro tranny? Does that mean it would also have a hyd dump bed? Might as well add a small grapple, hyd saw, splitter too. I could rock a mini harvester / proccessor. LOL.

Hydrostatic, so instead of gears, it could have a lever/grip, the more u squeeze, the faster it goes. Infinite speed adjustment and smoother delivery. The prices are similar on transaxles, I just had the 5 speed already bought and onhand.

Except it wasn't $2,800!

My dad had gave me a magazine ad of a DR wagon, and wanted info on one (No internet), is what started this build. I think I made dads for around $600 if I recall. $100-120 for transaxle, $155 for engine, $60 tires/wheels, various hardware and steel were the rest.

Or $1800, albeit still more than I would ever spend.

Well done. That certainly took some skill for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.