Woodburning fireplace insert maintenance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BarryBlair

Nov 18, 2023
Kentucky
I have a Pacific Energy woodburning insert that came with the house we bought recently. In the manual it recommends removing the baffle at the top of the firebox once per season and checking/replacing the gasket at the back top of the firebox. The baffle sits on top of the gasket. I got the baffle up and over the edge that holds it, removed it, and replaced the gasket. When I put the baffle back, it doesn't sit all the way down on the side rails. There is about an 1/8th inch gap on the sides near the back of the box. I can't see anything obstructing it, and I don't remember if it was all the way down before I removed it. It is low enough that it catches on the edge and won't fall out, and the pin that holds it in place fits. My question is: is that ok/safe to use? Should the baffle sit all the way down on the rails? Looking for an expert opinion, to make sure we are safe to operate it. Thanks.

20231118_110615.jpeg 20231118_110621.jpeg

The baffle usually sits on the rails. It's probably safe, but I would remove the retaining pin and make sure that an edge the side-sealing blanket pieces is not trapped and raising it off of the rails. Also make sure there is no build up or crud at the back of the firebox preventing the baffle going all the way back. When dropping the back end of the baffle over the secondary supply tube, give it a good wiggle side-to-side and back and forth to help seat it well.

Reactions: BarryBlair