WoodButcher hard at work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
The Woodbuther has been a splitting maniac.......

Attachments

• wood_butcher_2006.jpg
    wood_butcher_2006.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 948
I think I cut my splits too small. I'd cut some of those you have as 1/2 rounds again. I figure that splitting into smaller sizes promotes drying better.

Warren said:
I think I cut my splits too small. I'd cut some of those you have as 1/2 rounds again. I figure that splitting into smaller sizes promotes drying better.

Yep. And a lot easier for filling a firebox.

I on the other hand like to leave about half the mix obscenely large. My father and I like to load enormous honkers in late at night, whereas the smaller pieces are usually consumed by mom and little brother.

Corie,

I agree with you, I try to vary my splits too, some thin some very large for overnights. Too thin and it burns way too fast. Different sizes makes stacking a lot of fun....

This works very well for me I find a dead standing oaK tree 5-8" diameter I cut up and do not split add them tothe fire before retiring to bed. Unsplit seems to last longer that same vollume of a split log. I have a separate pile of such logs just for that purpose

elkimmeg said:
This works very well for me I find a dead standing oaK tree 5-8" diameter I cut up and do not split add them tothe fire before retiring to bed. Unsplit seems to last longer that same vollume of a split log. I have a separate pile of such logs just for that purpose

How long does it take the small stuff to dry (unsplit) if it wasn't from a dead standing tree? I was going to ask about this because I have a lot of smaller peices (1-6 inches diameter) and I wasn't sure what, if any of it, I should split.

Butch, that looks like a postcard!

Great job.

tradergordo said:
elkimmeg said:

How long does it take the small stuff to dry (unsplit) if it wasn't from a dead standing tree? I was going to ask about this because I have a lot of smaller peices (1-6 inches diameter) and I wasn't sure what, if any of it, I should split.
It does make a difference of the wood type . Pine maybe around 3 months , mid grade wood 6-9 months , Hard wood ( oak ect ) 9 + months or two summers on the larger rounds. note: full sun drying . not under a shade tree .

Hey Thomas.........I'm in Northeastern CT..........the pile is a mix of Oak, Maple, Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.