WoodChuck 3100 Top Lever --What's it for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drew King

Oct 27, 2018
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Hello everyone,
I'm a novice when it comes to a wood furnace.

My elderly father in law recently passed away.
At his home, he owns a Woodchuck 3100 wood furnace.
On the front of it, there are 3 handles.

What is the top handle/lever for? We pulled it out, and it just looks like a 2 foot long or so straight rod.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is called a Heat Exchanger Control Rod.
I do notice that on the back side of the furnace at the same height, the exhaust duct is there.

Anyone know it's proper function?

Attachments

• DSCN0290.JPG
    DSCN0290.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,529
Hello everyone,
I'm a novice when it comes to a wood furnace.

My elderly father in law recently passed away.
At his home, he owns a Woodchuck 3100 wood furnace.
On the front of it, there are 3 handles.

What is the top handle/lever for? We pulled it out, and it just looks like a 2 foot long or so straight rod.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is called a Heat Exchanger Control Rod.
I do notice that on the back side of the furnace at the same height, the exhaust duct is there.

Anyone know it's proper function?

Total guess as I don't own a Woodchuck, but it could be a baffle bypass. It would be used during reloads to reduce smoke spillage when the loading door is open. IE the control would give the exhaust smoke a straighter shot up the flue pipe when in bypass mode. Then once the loading door is closed again the lever is moved so the baffle is back in place causing a indirect path for the flames/exhaust, slowing the exhaust, retaining more heat in the furnace. Your description sounds like some of the mechanism is missing or burned away however.