Woodland Heists: Rising Energy Costs Drive Up Forest Thievery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
With energy costs escalating, more Germans are turning to wood burning stoves for heat. That, though, has also led to a rise in tree theft in the country's forests. Woodsmen have become more watchful.
With snow blanketing the ground, it's the perfect time of year to snuggle up in front of a fireplace. That, though, makes German foresters nervous. When the mercury falls, the theft of wood in the country's woodlands goes up as people turn to cheaper ways to heat their homes.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...rmany-as-heating-costs-increase-a-878013.html

Though I highly doubt they'll get real warm snuggling up to a 'regular old-fashioned' fireplace' ;)

Ask my former neighbor to my east about how I react when catching him stealing $10 of MY wood from over the fence.....:mad:

One more reason when I do any cutting near a road or high traffic area is not leaving any short length pieces on the ground before I leave....I watch how full the truck or trailer is getting,if its full & there's short ones left on the ground - they arent left behind.I'll leave large diameter or long (9ft+) logs for the next trip though.You wanna steal my stuff? You're gonna have to WORK for it! Thieves are too lazy to actually put out any real effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.