Woodpiles started...missing the Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ed

I've cut up my first tree (a Bald Cypress) and it yielded about 3/4 of cord. Yes, I know this is not the world's highest BTU wood but it was free. It's sort of cedar like (and hard to split) and I'll bet it will smell good. It also ought to be nice for the early fall. I'm going to buy a cord of hard wood after my birthday in mid-June. I have a couple of extra jobs this summer that I'm going to buy wood and some more insulation for over the fireplace room with.

I came across a nice kindling rack at the local thrift store. After some cleaning and a repaint job, it looks good on the fireplace. Not bad for $1.49. It's time to put in the garden plants but my woodpile is next to the garden and I am already dreaming of October.

Hope everyone is well and enjoy the Spring.

Don

I dream of October year around because that is the start of our deer hunting season! But yes, that also starts the heating season most years. Some years it starts in September.

3/4 of a cord isn't that much. You should have all of next winters wood supply already cut, split and stacked. Don't expect any wood that you buy to be already seasoned either, no matter what the seller says. It usually is not seasoned very long if at all.

Hi Dennis,

That's good advice and I wish I already did have all my wood. I was suprised too that I only ended up with that much wood from that tree but you get what you get and again the price was right. I just installed my Buck stove in February so I'm pretty new at wood heating. I made it from February through the end of the cool weather with about 1/2 of walnut. I'm hoping to make it through the winter on what I can scrounge plus 2 cords of hardwood that I'll buy.

I understand what you are saying about seasoned or not from sellers. All I can do is hope for the best. I'm still a ways from having time to go out and cut too much myself and I don't have the room for more than about 2 cords at my place. I appreciate your comments though.

Don

Don, you need to get that wood up ASAP. Your buck stove will love ya for it. Poor wood seasoning is the #1 pit that new wood burners fall into. Got a buddy, or an Uncle with a little extra yard?? Maybe a corner that a nicely stacked wood pile could fit?? Just a thought.

I stack my wood HIGH to save room. I don't stop at 4' but will go over 6'. Just make sure you stack it well or it will fall over!

Status
Not open for further replies.