Woodshed full- ready for winter :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumber-Jack

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2008
Beautiful British Columbia
In celebration of filling our woodshed for this winter I uploaded a short video to youtube of my boys splitting and stacking the final bit of firewood into the shed.

Thanks Zap
The woodshed hold 5+ cord, I will be getting another one or two more cord that I'll stack in the splitting area for the short term, I'll either use that up first, or I'll split it and stack it in the shed to replace the wood I use out of there.
You know, I saw that woodchuck ad before and I wondered how the Geico execs approved a slogan like that. Can Geico really save you 15% or more on insurance? Do woodchucks chuck wood? The obvious real answer would be NO, but by using some humorous trick animation the answer becomes YES. Cute for sure, but what message does it give their customers? Can Geico really save you 15% or more on insurance? Not really, but they can trick you into thinking that they do. LOL

You still have the "gold standard" of wood sheds.
Also: Awesome helpers/workers. (food bill offset by wood heat ??? :) LOL
I like the 3 splitting stump system.
Nice thread.
PS: Do you do any of the processing now? Looks like you're in the "supervisor's mode" for a few more years. :)
I predict you'll be buying a log splitter in 5 -6 year. ;)

I can't wait till my son is big enough to split like that!! You've got the government job now for sure.

That's a really nice shed/processing area setup! I am jealous!!

On a quick sidenote - I have some very fond memories of helping my Dad split and stack wood. I had kind of forgotten about them until I started burning again this year (just bought a house with a woodstove). The funny thing is, the second I smelled freshly split wood it all came back to me - definitely a nice moment.

Hopefully your boys will remember all of their hard work and the importance of helping out family and at some point later in life will get a little memory jog like I did.

Great setup. Do your videos help the boys win the hearts of the girls at school?

Don't worry I still do almost all the cutting, all the driving, chainsaw maintenance, and some of the splitting and stacking, so I'm not quite a full time government supervisor yet. Next year my oldest will be 16 so I hope he'll be doing the driving, and I have started him on the chainsaw, so we'll see how that goes.
As for getting the hearts of the girls because of the videos, that's a good question, I guess I don't really have an answer cause I'm not privy to what goes on in the minds of those young girls, but the videos aren't all work and I would think, if anything, the recreation time videos would grab their hearts a little more.
Like this one with my youngest son and his friends kayaking.

Carbon, that is a great video! Moments that will never be forgotten. That is also beautiful country. I'll bet you really like those sandy beaches and sandy bottoms to that river. lol I also feel for folks who never have the chance to experience this sort of thing. Of course, some wouldn't like it but that too is good. It leaves more of it to people like you and me.

Glad you enjoyed the video Dennis, we've had some memorable times on that river for sure. Fortunately lots of people have had a chance to experience it, we enjoy kayaking, but by far the majority of people who ride the river do so on floaty boats (air mattresses, inflatable dinghys, inner tubes, etc...) . This last summer we went down the river with a group of around 100 people, kids as young as 3 or 4 years old and older ones in their 60s. There are rocks and rapids in some areas, but easy to avoid, or not, depending on how adventurous you are. ;-)

Chatsworth, As of today we have about 6 cords, we usually cut about a truck load (about 1 cord) in one day, but after cutting and unloading the rounds, we normally leave the splitting for another day (or days). If we really put or minds (and backs) into it we could probably process up to 3 cords a day. That would be a lot of work all in one day, but if we did it like that all our heating for the year could be taken care of in 2 days. If I ever did that to my boys though I'm sure they would begin to hate the work (so would I for that matter), so I try to pace it out as much as possible, especially the splitting.
In fact we just got another load yesterday (maybe our last for the year), the wood is already dry, so we will be using this wood first, and only splitting it as we bring it in to burn.
newwood.JPG

Absolutely awesome, all around, CL. The boys WILL remember these days.
I have some fond memories of camping trips when young. These videos reminded me of that. Very cool.
Love it. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.