Woodstock Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie

Hearth Supporter
Aug 9, 2008
NH
We recently bought a Fireview after struggling for years with our Vermont Castings Defiant Encore. We installed it at the end of February and love the stove - the long burn times (a great bed of coals after burning for 8 - 9 hours), the amount of heat it puts out, how evenly it heats and how clean the glass stays. We did experience some backpuffing, but that seems to have been resolved by turning it down very slightly. My question is that periodically there is a smoky smell that causes a slight respiratory irritation. It's almost like the irritation from being near somone who is smoking a cigarette. We did have problems w/backpuffing w/our VC and Woodstock told us the problem was probably our 8' flue. Our house is a cape w/an unfinished, unheated 2nd floor - our chimney is 2 flue, cement block [covered w/ brick on the first floor - just cement block on the 2nd floor] w 8x10" clay flues. We did buy a 6" flue liner from Woodstock but haven't installed yet. Our wood is seasoned (2 1/2 years old) - we do use a tarp but bring the wood in and use a hoop wood rack to make sure it is dry before we use it. I am wondering why we get the smoky smell if the stove is not backpuffing and if the irritation may be small particulates. I am also wondering about creosote, because the door usually has a thick, black tarry coating, although the rest of the inside of the stove seems ok. The stove has been running almost constantly and we haven't checked the chimney yet. Also, is the stove running correctly when the cat is not glowing and there is no flame - just glowing coals? It seems to be running great when it runs like that but I'm not sure it's running properly.

I would appreciate any input.

Thank you.

You may need to tighten your door latch or check the door gasket. The creosote inside the door could be caused by air leaking in from a loose door or gasket.

I am a learner burner, but just from a general knowledge point of view - You are going from a hot 30 in² flue to a cooler 80 in² flue. Perhaps what you smell occasionally might be a little back draft. Perhaps occurs when the breeze takes a little dip in the vicinity of your chimney, or something turns on in the house like an exhaust fan. While the second floor is unfinished, if you haven't already, go up there and seal every possible opening between the first and second floor. All the holes for wire, pipe, flue, vents, etc. Take a punk and see if there are any cracks that could be sealed. Put gaskets on the door at the top of the stairs just like it is an outside entry door. At the same time, get all the air paths between the second floor and the attic. Your house may be a chimney that is competing with the chimney for the stove. Every now and then, the breeze comes in such a way that your "house chimney" briefly pulls a little harder than the stove chimney.

Sophie, congratulations on that wonderful stove. It will serve you well but you may have to do a few things. Yes, the liner should be one of the firs things to do as that chimney as you have it will not perform right for you. The liner and insulation will help. Also follow JimboM's advise on sealing wherever possible. Todd is also correct about the firebox door; do check that.

The cat indeed can be working without glowing red and you will know by watching the stove top thermometer. If the cat is working then the stove top temperature will shoot up. Best is to get one more thermometer from Woodstock and place that on the stove pipe.

How is the stove pipe run? Long horizontal run? Is there a raise in this pipe? It needs a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal pipe. Anything less will cause smoky conditions when you open the stove and can also help cause more back puffing.

You can tackle each problem one at a time and see what results you do or don't get and then go to the next problem area but the drafting is number 1. Get the liner in and also check for air leaks in the house. Also there may be a possibility of other things causing some of the problem, like perhaps exhaust fans being left on for long periods or the drier running a lot. Those things will compete with the chimney and with the amount of air the stove is getting.

It will also help if you describe how you are operating the stove and what type of wood you have. How was the wood seasoned? Has it been split and stacked for those 2 1/2 years or has it only been cut 2 1/2 years ago? Also, why do you have to bring in the wood to dry?

Good luck.

Sophie:

I also have a tarry black coating on the inside of my door. The coating started almost as soon as we bought the stove (it's been burning 3 full years now). The door has been tightened a few times and I did the dollar bill and candle tests, they passed. My wood was c/s/s 3 years ago and covered 1 year so it's dry. The stove heats just fine, no complaints. So what I am saying is I don't understand why we have this shiny tar (mine is a thin coating) but my 6" flue stays clean and the stove runs just fine so I don't worry. It may be that the inside of the door is the coolest part of the stove, so that stuff just likes to collect there.

I agree with other posts, you definitely need to install the 6" liner. I cannot figure out how you cured backpuffing "by turning it down very slightly". That's the opposite of the way is should work, you should increase the draft to cure backpuffing.

Enjoy the stove!

Getting the flue up to specifications will make a world of difference. You will think you have a new stove. Combine that with well seasoned wood and you can look forward to a very nice burning experience with the new stove.

Review the Fireview installation manual:

"Both height of the chimney system, and flue size are important. To create adequate draft, your chimney must meet or exceed minimum specifications."

"To insure adequate draft, we recommend a minimum total venting height of 14 feet above the flue collar of the stove."

i get that smell when it puffs....i'm changing the gaskets under the lid..check those gaskets under there...look for black soot getting past the gasket..

Status
Not open for further replies.