Woodstock Ideal Steel - what is the hybrid part?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditchmonkey

Feb 11, 2015
Oregon
There seems to be a lot of excitement with the Ideal Steel hybrid. I have some questions I hope you all may be able to answer:

1. What is the "hybrid" part of the stove?
  2. The stove seems very large - anyone heard plans for a smaller model?
  3. The stove seems to be a departure from their mainstay - soapstone. What features of the stove are similar to their other soapstone stoves?
Thanks!

1. Hybrid stoves contain both catalytic combustion and secondary burn technology.

2. Yes.

3. It burns wood.

To clarify #3 I thought maybe the "hybrid" part was the incorporation of soapstone somewhere in the stove.

Last edited:
1. Hybrid stoves contain both catalytic combustion and secondary burn technology.

2. Yes.

3. It burns wood.

To clarify #3 I thought maybe the "hybrid" part was the incorporation of sandstone somewhere in the stove.

The Ideal Steel hybrid follows on the Progress Hybrid, which was their first hybrid, made from cast iron and soapstone. The Ideal Steel uses steel which is made in the U.S. and is cheaper, allowing them to sell the stove for around $2,000. The Progress Hybrid is over $1,000 more. In their product page, they give a lengthy explanation of what they mean by hybrid, and it says nothing about sandstone.

http://www.woodstove.com/progress-hybrid

"The Progress is a true hybrid because it combines a catalytic combustor with a secondary combustion system. Each of these elements is used to reduce wood stove emissions and increase efficiency. Until now, wood stoves have been using either a catalytic combustor or a secondary combustion system to meet EPA emissions standards."

Reactions: Ditchmonkey
The Ideal Steel does offer an option for soapstone as a firebrick liner, similar to Hearthstone's cast iron stoves, but this is not the hybrid part. Soapstone side panel inserts are also an option. Both are extra cost. If you go to Woodstock's website you can get a lot more answers to your questions. Their blog has details about stoves in development. http://woodstove.com/

You can get soapstone liner and external panels (i think) on the IS as options.

Its a slightly improved design over the PH, but being all steel its much cheaper. They are coming out with a smaller version, i forget the name of it though. You can check out their blog for the details on that.

Does a soapstone liner perform a lot better than firebrick? Worth the extra cost?

I'm very interested in this stove so I'm trying to learn everything I can.

Does a soapstone liner perform a lot better than firebrick? Worth the extra cost?

I'm very interested in this stove so I'm trying to learn everything I can.

The soapstone liner serves the same purpose as firebrick, but yes it does improve performance though i cant say by how much as I only own a PH. Soapstone in general has much better heat retention and thus will stay hot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.