Woodstove in new home build - question on piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Hello All,

I am in the process of planning to build a new home. Our selected plan has a gas fireplace with a bump out which I plan to replace with a wood stove.

The room for the wood stove has a 12' ceiling and there are no rooms above on the second floor. I plan to adhere rock veneer to the wall behind the wood stove floor to the ceiling. The question came up on what to do with the piping. One idea was to run the pipe all the way straight up inside and out the roof. The builder also said we could build a chase on the outside of the house and run the pipe outside.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
A free-standing stove with the chimney running straight up in the house is by far the best option. It will cost a lot less with less opportunity for air leakage and heating loss. If the stove can be centrally located in an open floorplan you will get the best results.

If you do decide to go with a bumpout alcove be sure that it is wide enough for the chosen stove and follows the alcove requirements for the stove including ceiling height.

Depending on the home decor, I prefer the look of black stove pipe going straight up and out. Best possible performance plus you can gain additional heat if you use heavy single wall pipe on the interior.

Thanks all. I think I will go with keeping the pipe internal. It will also save quite a bit of money.

Inside is definitely best from a functional standpoint but the black pipe all the way up will detract from the look of the stone veneer. I think painted pipe is available..that might help.

Thanks all. I think I will go with keeping the pipe internal. It will also save quite a bit of money.
Good plan. It will function better too. Use double-wall stove pipe on the long 12' run of connector pipe.

I have a similar question. I am planing a new house and would like to have a free standing stove on an interior wall with the stone veneer. I wanted to use a metal chimney in a chase and have the stove pipe exit through the rest and into the wall. Can a metalbestos type product be used in this scenario? I would love a masonry chimney but I don't think it is in the budget.

Every chimney pipe maker has a solution for a wall thimble.

I am continuing with the early stages on working with a contractor to build our house. I was sharing our idea of keeping the pipe internal to the house up through the roof and forgoing the chimney chase.

The wood stove will be on an external wall on the back of the house. Going straight up the pipe would pop out of the roof with some distance from the ridge. I was asking the contractor about the amount of pipe that would extend out of the roof and if we could put a chase around it. Just so I don't have a stainless pipe sticking up way past the roof. How much it extends we will need to figure out.

He confessed that he would need to review this with his HVAC contractor, but he mentioned possibly angling the pipe in the attic toward the ridge limiting the amount of pipe that would extend past the roof. Do you think this is a good idea? I wondered if it would make cleaning it more difficult.

I am continuing with the early stages on working with a contractor to build our house. I was sharing our idea of keeping the pipe internal to the house up through the roof and forgoing the chimney chase.

The wood stove will be on an external wall on the back of the house. Going straight up the pipe would pop out of the roof with some distance from the ridge. I was asking the contractor about the amount of pipe that would extend out of the roof and if we could put a chase around it. Just so I don't have a stainless pipe sticking up way past the roof. How much it extends we will need to figure out.

He confessed that he would need to review this with his HVAC contractor, but he mentioned possibly angling the pipe in the attic toward the ridge limiting the amount of pipe that would extend past the roof. Do you think this is a good idea? I wondered if it would make cleaning it more difficult.
He should go straight up, use a cathedral ceiling support through the roof. Class A chimney from ceiling support to the top w/ roof flashing. Chimney must rise 2' higher than the ridge if the ridge is within 10' of the chimney. Elbowing around costs more money....elbows are pricey....and would defeat the improved draft from going straight up.

Reactions: begreen

Think this through carefully while it's still on paper. Consider carefully if there is a more interior location where the stove would work out. If not, here is the guidance for the chimney that illustrates HomePA's post.
10-3-2 rule.JPG