Woodstove installed in 1970

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gridbug

Apr 12, 2022
Oregon
We've lived in this house since 2003 and have only had this stove swept twice. The family before us used this stove a lot. We only started heavy use with the stove for the last two years. It sure came in handy when we didn't have power during the winter for ten days. The chimney sweep who came here a month ago said that the stove is installed with a plate that prevents him from sweeping it out and doing a proper inspection of the chimney. He wants it replaced. I don't want to replace it. it's big and has a nice top for cooking.
Does anyone understand how stoves were installed in 1970? I wish I could add more information to put here. Are there some good questions I could ask the chimney sweep?
I'd like to line the chimney and hope it's possible with the stove.

Where is this plate? Do you mean the baffle in the stove? Please post a full picture of the stove and another of the plate.

Where is this plate? Do you mean the baffle in the stove? Please post a full picture of the stove and another of the plate.
Sorry I am so naive about wood stoves. I'll read about baffles after I attach the pictures. Thanks for the help!

Brand Name.png Plate Mounting.png Vent and Plate.png Wood Stove.png

he might be complaining about the adj damper in the stove pipe just behind the stove. Install is proper as far as picture with a plate at top of the oem fire box that flue goes through closing off the flue, but the flue pipe in the pic might not extend all the way up. If that is the case whatever he is brushing loose can pile on top of the block off plate that's not good.

Thanks very much for the replies! Is it difficult to reinstall the stove properly? I'd rather keep this stove if I could.

Thanks very much for the replies! Is it difficult to reinstall the stove properly? I'd rather keep this stove if I could.
It can be pretty simple or can get complicated there are to many variables for us to know. It isn't cheap though

I would guess that bhollers guess is correct. Many older installs just installed the flat plate seen in the photo and ran the stove pipe into a hole in it. Liners were very rare. I know of many installs like that over the years. In some cases they worked pretty well but the problem is creosote can fall out of the chimney down on the plate and build up, When things get hot enough to ignite the creosote its one very large chimney fire. Usually there is more evidence of creosote leaking past the plate. The other issue is the draft on those setups could be very poor.

that blockoff plate look to be held in place by tap-con masonry screws. I’d be either going up to the roof and looking down the chimney or taking the blockoff plate down enough to get a look up.

Evan

It looks like this may be direct venting in the chimney. Ask the sweep about thoroughly cleaning the chimney and then installing a full stainless steel liner for the stove. Consider terminating it with a capped tee on the bottom to facilitate easy cleaning.

Reactions: EbS-P