Woodstove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chefchivo

Sep 1, 2021
Willow Creek, Montana
I just bought a fixer upper house out here in willow creek. It came with a solar key wood burner. I’ve never heard of this company so if anyone knows any info I’d love to hear about it. I’ll attach a picture. My question is this. Do you think this burner will be fine use with a few modifications I need to make as per county rules or should I upgrade? It seems to be in good shape so I’m thinking it will be good but not sure. It’s also in the garage which is below the house so it heats that way with radiant flooring. I was thinking if I did upgrade I could get a smaller stove and put it upstairs and take this older one out. Let me know your thoughts

354B2661-BF4A-45D4-8769-D891D324132F.jpeg 675CE131-8DD9-4481-A1F0-936FF7D12DF7.jpeg

I just bought a fixer upper house out here in willow creek. It came with a solar key wood burner. I’ve never heard of this company so if anyone knows any info I’d love to hear about it. I’ll attach a picture. My question is this. Do you think this burner will be fine use with a few modifications I need to make as per county rules or should I upgrade? It seems to be in good shape so I’m thinking it will be good but not sure. It’s also in the garage which is below the house so it heats that way with radiant flooring. I was thinking if I did upgrade I could get a smaller stove and put it upstairs and take this older one out. Let me know your thoughts

View attachment 281510 View attachment 281511
There is not much about that install that is ok. First off a solid fuel burners cannot be used in a garage in the US.

Next one heat reclaimer on a woodstove is a horrible idea that will cause creosote problems. 2 is just rediculous.

It looks like the connector pipe is probably too close to the ceiling.

The walls look uninsulated

The chimney pipe is not properly supported

And probably other things as well.

I’ve never seen heat reclaimers on a wood burner before until I saw this. What I meant by ok was the stove itself. I f I can use. It or if it’s better to upgrade. The pipe is ridiculous. We have our local fireplace and stove company coming out to reassess for legal code and safety. Can you tell me about the brand of stove? I’ve only used VC and Jotel before so I’m not familiar with this style

I’ve never seen heat reclaimers on a wood burner before until I saw this. What I meant by ok was the stove itself. I f I can use. It or if it’s better to upgrade. The pipe is ridiculous. We have our local fireplace and stove company coming out to reassess for legal code and safety. Can you tell me about the brand of stove? I’ve only used VC and Jotel before so I’m not familiar with this style
It isn't a great stove at all. But if in good condition it could work. But it will never be clean burning or efficent