Woodstove surround ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
Honeybrook Pennsylvania
So got my new stove installed excellent job by the sweep who did it btw! I had a green heatshield from my old stove and when the sweep came today to finish it up we took the old shield off, this is what we were left with. My question is. I don't think I have the budget for stone install on the surround. Was wondering if anyone here has any ideas to dress this surround up to make it not look so plain. My wife and I are out of ideas haha. Thanks in advance! And sorry for the sideways pic
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If no ideas and funds, I'd leave it plain and painted for now. It can be done later. Our walls are just painted and we like it like that.

If no ideas and funds, I'd leave it plain and painted for now. It can be done later. Our walls are just painted and we like it like that.
I left the wall behind my Ashford plain, we like it just fine. It's a nice change really!

Maybe just some pictures or something than? Our problem were Running into was that it wa super dark area with the green heatshield so we were trying I avoid this with Addin dark tile and or stone.

Yep, I think it looks just fine.

My next stove install is going to be sitting on a plain ole hearth pad. I'm done building stuff and laying tile, at least for a while.

The only thing that i can think of that won't clash with the tile is a limestone veneer, or something like that. Maybe some can lights above it will be possible?

The only thing that i can think of that won't clash with the tile is a limestone veneer, or something like that. Maybe some can lights above it will be possible?
Ooo I like the can lights idea!! Almost to highlight the stove and make it more of a focal point in the room. And all these ideas of not doing stone has got me thinking, since the house style we live in is very much a rustic mountain house, I'd like the extra lighting and maybe find some antique snowshoes or antique skis to hang behind the stove to almost dress it up a bit? You guys are awsome keep the idea flowing!

Reactions: Owen1508
Hi Cburke,
How about sheets of tempered glass? Probably get em free on Kijiji if you look around. This way you get a heat shield as well.
Here is an example:
HGTV-waterbased-paint-Green-Back-Painted-Glass-Backsplash.jpg
You can back paint them and that looks slick. I did this as the back-splash in my bathroom. Was going to do the shower walls as well, but kinda lost momentum and used corrugated metal instead.

Maybe look into scrounging offcuts of steel plate and tac weld them into a patchwork pattern.

If you don't have to worry about combustibles behind your stove, how about thin sections of un-split logs and make a faux woodpile behind it.

8259-log-wall.jpg

Anyway, just my two cents, which is probably an overestimate of value, so take it for what it is!
Good luck!

Hey Cburke,
I was looking at your wood stove and it looks almost exactly in the same location mine will be in relation to the roofline.
How tall is your chimney above the roof? Do you have an exterior shot?

You have a creative mind! Note that placing glass behind the stove is not a heat shield unless it is on standoffs and open top and bottom to permit full ventilation behind it.

Yes...well my "creative mind" has put me in a lot dumb places doing dumb things... so be forewarned.

Yes, the glass would have to be rested on a couple of feet for it to be a heat shield... you can't drill holes in tempered glass to mount it to the wall...A few edge clips along the side and you are golden.

How about a section of "barn board" with staggered edges...kinda like you took the corner out of an old building and dropped it behind the stove. Maybe drop a really old window into it for added affect.

If you can't find barn board, you can make your own. I did a few walls in my house with rough sawn lumber. To get the old grey whitewashed beat up look I put some steel wool in a mason jar, filled it with white vinegar and let it melt for a week or so. Painted that mixture onto the boards. let it dry, then made a fairly watery paint /water mix and just slapped it on there. I didn't even have to wipe it off..it just soaked in and insta presto! Looks great!

This is the wall I did:
KAhlstrom-2014-05-26-8283.jpg

That's cool! I did the same thing on the rough sawn timbers I used when I redid my fireplace. I found this stone at menards, it was a return and I got it for less than $3 a square foot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 490
Reactions: morpho
cool!

Hey Cburke,
I was looking at your wood stove and it looks almost exactly in the same location mine will be in relation to the roofline.
How tall is your chimney above the roof? Do you have an exterior shot?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This run is 7 feet to the ceiling, and to be honest have no idea exactly how long the class A is on the roof. If I had to guess probably 8 to 10 ft. Very short run overall which is nice easy to get a good draft going.

Hi Cburke,
How about sheets of tempered glass? Probably get em free on Kijiji if you look around. This way you get a heat shield as well.
Here is an example:
View attachment 135837
You can back paint them and that looks slick. I did this as the back-splash in my bathroom. Was going to do the shower walls as well, but kinda lost momentum and used corrugated metal instead.

Maybe look into scrounging offcuts of steel plate and tac weld them into a patchwork pattern.

If you don't have to worry about combustibles behind your stove, how about thin sections of un-split logs and make a faux woodpile behind it.

View attachment 135838

Anyway, just my two cents, which is probably an overestimate of value, so take it for what it is!
Good luck!
Great idea on the faux woodpile I think a May do some variation of this!

Hey Cburke!
We have been sorting out your decor for you! Some odd mix of wood, stone, tile, glass, pictures, painted drywall, antique snowshoes & ski's and random chunks of steel. ah for fun throw in a mounted deer head and musket like Webby is rocking.
Get to it!

I think the people on those TV shows call it "eclectic" hahahaha...

I was thinking how I would do the woodpile thing...
Trying to figure out if I would frame the edges with lumber or leave it ragged with the log sections.
Also how to deal with the corner...maybe an old 4x4 in the corner so you have something to run the logs up to and separate the two sections...?

Whatever you do...make sure it is really dry so it doesn't shrink too much and leave gaps...paint the backer board flat black maybe..... just think how good that would look with lights shining down on it! Throw a stuffed squirrel on the pile and call it done.

So you have an exterior...?...."chimney surround chase thing" around the chimney...That would make mine look less odd for sure...It's like looking at an 8 foot 130 pound ball player standing next to a 8 foot 430 pound ball player....same height... just one looks funny....and probably gets laughed at a lot...but the chance that I am going to get that ambitious is zero.

But I like the look of your place.

Hey Cburke!
We have been sorting out your decor for you! Some odd mix of wood, stone, tile, glass, pictures, painted drywall, antique snowshoes & ski's and random chunks of steel. ah for fun throw in a mounted deer head and musket like Webby is rocking.
Get to it!

I think the people on those TV shows call it "eclectic" hahahaha...

I was thinking how I would do the woodpile thing...
Trying to figure out if I would frame the edges with lumber or leave it ragged with the log sections.
Also how to deal with the corner...maybe an old 4x4 in the corner so you have something to run the logs up to and separate the two sections...?

Whatever you do...make sure it is really dry so it doesn't shrink too much and leave gaps...paint the backer board flat black maybe..... just think how good that would look with lights shining down on it! Throw a stuffed squirrel on the pile and call it done.

So you have an exterior...?...."chimney surround chase thing" around the chimney...That would make mine look less odd for sure...It's like looking at an 8 foot 130 pound ball player standing next to a 8 foot 430 pound ball player....same height... just one looks funny....and probably gets laughed at a lot...but the chance that I am going to get that ambitious is zero.

But I like the look of your place.
Thank you very much it's our little slice of heaven. Also thank you for the ideas, and I really think I may get started on the woodpile design tommorow for sure I really like that idea and it's inexpensive. I'll figure out the details as I go. Run something lighting about the stove and go shopping for some antiques and call it a day! Yea the chimney surround on the roof does a nice job masking the chimney. The previous owners had it on there before we moved in, one recommendation if you go that route, make sure you cut the wood high enough off your roof so it doesn't just wick rain water up and rot the base out, as mine is currently doing. Good luck hope that helps!

No worries...always willing to offer crazy advice.
If it comes together make sure you post an image...I'd love to see what you do.

(Thanks for the cut the material short advice.)

Hey Cburke,
Was cruising the inter tubes for an example and came across this guy:

YA..looks cool huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.