Woodstove v Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
While doing some reading today before hitting my 50 degree basement for some project time, I decided to run the furnace fan to get some warm air down there. Out the window, big puffy wet flakes fell quietly while the roar of the fan blared on in unwanted dissonance.

So I turned the fan off and became part of the silence of snowfall. It was as glorious as could be.

As I pondered the joy of solitude, silence and all things woodstove related, I heard someone in the distance start up one helluva motor. Maybe a chipper? The moment was lost. Dissonance soon returned, but this time within my own mind as I thought of the silence I've likely destroyed while processing my wood. Suddenly the innocent pleasure of burning comes with some guilt, but not enough to ever go back.

Later (now) the wind has picked up, the horizon is obscured, and all I hear is it, some cracking of the stove as a burn winds down, and the dog licking itself.

Life is good.

I woulg likr to get away from having to run our furnace fan all the time. It is keeping me awake right now.

As I pondered the joy of solitude, silence and all things woodstove related, I heard someone in the distance start up one helluva motor. Maybe a chipper? The moment was lost. Dissonance soon returned, but this time within my own mind as I thought of the silence I've likely destroyed while processing my wood. Suddenly the innocent pleasure of burning comes with some guilt, but not enough to ever go back.
One day I've heard the sound of chain saw coming from my neighbor. OMG. Poor people around me. The neighbors got 3 acres each but the sound travels real good because it's quite around.

For me, personally, the sound of chainsaws in the distance is like the call of the wild. Their music calls me to come join them kind of like the alpha wolf calling the pack to work. ;lol

I do get the noise thing but a saw in the background is not the same for me as the noise pollution I find when I visit the city. YMMV

I have one neighbor, and he can't complain about my chainsaws because he heats with wood too. :). (He has a big mongo outdoor boiler that heats water for hydronic baseboards... It's pretty cool.)

I had my house for 3 years now. I cleaned the backyard and got about 16 cords from my property. The second year my neighbor asked if I run firewood business.
I try not to run chainsaw on weekends since then.

We don't have a noise ordinance here. I found this out when i was much younger and had the "cool" motto of when I listen to Metallica so do my neighbors. Now that I'm a little older and not really much wiser I try to use common courtesy. On weekends after my load of logs gets dropped off I don't start the saw or splitter till after 10am. By this point at least one of my neighbors have a lawnmower going anyways. I have had one guy complain about it and just told him when he pays my taxes he can tell me what to do on my property.

We have no noise regulations here in the "country", unless your dog barks and p.....s off someone.

bob