WOOLLY BEAR CATERPILLARS AND WEATHER PREDICTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Just found my first woolly Bear from his strips or lack off
we are in for a mild winter.
The one I say had no black strip
first time ever

I haven't seen any up close yet this year but have seen many on the highways on afternoons heading home from work. They have all been black....or mostly black. Bad winter?? I've still yet to split a persimmon in half and see what it foretells.

Just found my first woolly Bear from his strips or lack off
we are in for a mild winter.
The one I say had no black strip
first time ever
I'll start looking when I'm outside.

According to legend:

The wider the rusty brown sections (or the more brown segments there are), the milder the coming winter will be. The more black there is, the more severe the winter.

No wooly bears here yet. Will be soon enough. Will have to see if the legend is true...

Reactions: thewoodlands
Wooly bears or not --we are going to have a hard winter according to my birdies as well as a few insects that I made friends with for they are all gone now and my birdies have had a real large molt early and seem ready for the cold weather already retiring into the loft early so we will see who is right your "wooly caterpillar" legend or my birdies...lol clancey

20211003_093318.jpg

The one I saw was all brown
So what kind of winter is Ontario to have?

Not sure , they are predicting for the southern snow belt (which I live in) for a larger than normal snowy winter. If you believe that precipitation averages rule,than we have reached our yearly accumulation already, meaning that the snow won't start till after January.......we have not had a hard cold winter for the last 2 years so maybe we are due? I'm more of a wake up and look outside kinda person rather than try and guess/plan what will happen. I do like winter so I hope we have more of a traditional one vs the freeze, thaw , freeze, thaw, that's happened the last 2 years. I don't enjoy mud.

It is 3;47 pm here and 52 ::F We will take a little of your warmth:)

Found one like this today It is called a

Hickory tussock moth​

So what kind of winter is this youngster forecasting ?

Reactions: osagebow
uhm, cold and snowy seems to be the right answer - always?;)

Reactions: johneh
Its going to be cold for that moth has its fur coat on..my pigeons are still molting and dropping lots of feathers to get new ones to combat the cold coming..and its coming..clancey

I think that little guy is the one that "stings" if it gets on your skin?
Yes, and that really applies to any fuzzy caterpillar. I just avoid touching them, my chickens won't eat them either.

Found one like this today It is called a

Hickory tussock moth​

So what kind of winter is this youngster forecasting ?
An itchy one!

Reactions: clancey and johneh
As much as I detest ice (and driving in it!) I sure wish we'd have a good long freeze to kill a few ticks...they've been
multiplying out of control for several years.

As much as I detest ice (and driving in it!) I sure wish we'd have a good long freeze to kill a few ticks...they've been
multiplying out of control for several years.

I think it has to be below 10 F for a couple of days to make that happen. Ticks are hardy animals...

I think it has to be below 10 F for a couple of days to make that happen. Ticks are hardy animals...
I'd take -10F for 2 weeks if it would kill those buggers! There are so many in our area I'm very certain they huddle
together for warmth! :mad:

I'd take -10F for 2 weeks if it would kill those buggers! There are so many in our area I'm very certain they huddle
together for warmth! :mad:
btw, congrats on your first grandchild! Let the spoiling begin :)

• Love
Reactions: ispinwool
I saw my first Woolly Bear Caterpillar today after taking down a Pine near our driveway.

104_2333.JPG 104_2334.JPG

Reactions: Gearhead660