working with used tank want to seal inside for corrrsion restistance before adding water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboltmt

Nov 11, 2008
montana
have aquired a used tank and want to know if there are sealers that take 180 degree water without breaking down or if i should just be careful with ph levels witch i will do anyways and use the tank without treatment of the inside first

Are you using it as a pressurized tank? If so you should be able to treat the water when you first fill the tank and be done with it.

I believe the pros will recommend your treat (or condition) the water no mater what.

You could use epoxy if you really wanted to coat the tank...sounds like zero fun, however. And if it's a pressurized system you still need to protect the boiler from "nasty" water with proper treatments....

unsure about pressurizing the tank figured that it wouldnt be because most of the manufactured boilers are not i guess i could go either way although un pressurized from what i know is safer the tank is used and has some surface rust nothing really bad but preventative is the best way to go i also willl be cutting the tank open to install a water to water exchanger for my domestic use so i will have access to the inside of the tank thats why im thinking about a sealer

I wouldn't pressurize anything that had been cut open. If you go unpressurized, you would need to heat it via some sort of hx. A flat plate hx would keep the old tank separated from the boiler water. I think someone on here did that, maybe Jebatty?

so far my plan is to use a plate heat exchanger in the tank for the domestic hot water then circulate it to my hot water heater in house get the temp up to 180 and put on a tempering valve my house already has a boiler set up on natural gas so i planned to install heat exchanger on output side of the boiler and run the pump off the thermostat

taxidermist said:
If you can get in the tank then here ya go this is great stuff www.stoprust.net or just look up por 15

Rob

I absolutely highly recommend this product. I will be using it too for my tank. I used it 4 years ago to make an emergency repair on my plow truck. the oil-pan got punky and had no time to pull the engine (powerstroke diesel). I used the por-15 and followed all instructions. I forgot all about it untill a few weeks ago when I was looking for an alternative to lined tanks. This stuff is still in place and sealing the oil-pan on the now semi retired truck. It has very high heat tolerance and seals very well, if it keeps hot oil in place. (truck seen more than it's share of abuse..)

Henk.

Status
Not open for further replies.