World's Largest Oil Spill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Found this IMAX film on Youtube, I've heard lots of the Kuwaiti oil spill but never seen it on video like this. What a disaster that was, but impressive all wells were capped in 9 months.

I must admit I was a little disappointed though, the Canadian company Safety Boss (of Calgary, Alberta) was 4th to arrive on scene, capped the most wells (180) and wasn't even featured in the film. They even had the honor (if you can call it that) of capping the last well.

Not sure what I did to have it start at the 21 minute mark, but it's worth watching the entire thing.

Impressive, and I watched it on a phone, not an IMax screen.

It's been 30 years, doesn't seem that long ago. Maybe because I didn't have a television then, but I recall this being an issue however not close to being a big headline daily topic. I think the internet & internet news not having reached the masses yet kept it from being in the eye of US media for long.