worrying about my installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
I measured the size of my damper, it's 6" * 24". Because the damper is not leveled, that means the opening is less than 6". My pipe is 6" liner, so it will have hard time to get thr through. what can i do?

jie said:
I measured the size of my damper, it's 6" * 24". Because the damper is not leveled, that means the opening is less than 6". My pipe is 6" liner, so it will have hard time to get thr through. what can i do?

Ovalize the pipe. Yep, just like it sounds. Lay it on the ground and as evenly as possible, start putting pressure on the pipe, then move down, then back, then down again (up and down the pipe), to slightly "squish" the pipe into an oval that will pass thru the damper.

Maybe a round to oval adapter could be used as well, but I am not real familiar with your options there.

Or cut the damper out some to allow the round to go through, thats what I did, and no fuss with trying to deal with getting a round brush through an oval section of damper.

Yep, like Hog says cutting the damper frame is the way to go. If you do decide to ovalize it instead use a piece of PVC pipe as a roller over the liner laying on concrete to gently form an oval and don't crush it.

Thanks for the information.
Today i bought another 6 ft of liner from a local stove dealer. 30$ per foot. not cheap.
To my surprise, the pipe is a lot lighter and thinner than the old one that is manufactured by Elmer's pipe in Maine.

So i think i may use the 6 foot pipe to go through the damper because it can be ovalized.
No way the Emler pipe can be reshaped. Maybe quality wise, it's better, who knows.

Now, one question, if i ovalized the pipe, once it goes through the damper opening, can i make the pipe round again?
that would be awesome so i don't need oval to round adapter.

Yep, you can make it round again. If it IS possible to cut the damper out, that is a better way to go. From the original post, I didn't get the idea that this was an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.