Worth It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frogy

Feb 7, 2009
Sothwest MI
I have a 028 Stihl that is giving me some problems after 25 years of good service, it has only 65psi. My question is do guys think it is worth the money to replace the cylinder,piston,rings to get it up again?

If that was my only saw I'd get a new one and rebuild that one to have as a backup.

frogy, I don't really think any of us here can answer that question for you...no idea what your financial situation is, nor your mechanical skills, nor how much you depend on the saw. In any case, I really like Brian's idea. Rick

fossil said:
frogy, I don't really think any of us here can answer that question for you...no idea what your financial situation is, nor your mechanical skills, nor how much you depend on the saw. In any case, I really like Brian's idea. Rick
+1

My 25 year old McCulloch required almost daily maintenance so I ordered a new Echo. The new one hasn't come yet, but the old McCulloch worked flawlessly all day today. Go figure?! I vote for rebuilding and keeping your old saw as backup. Before committing to rebuilding, I would soak the piston & rings in a good penetrating oil. (My favorite is Marvel Mystery Oil. Obviously it won't help weart or scoring, but but it may 'unstick' rings...) I squirted it into the exhaust port, with the muffler removed, rotated the piston, etc. The saw ran like a champ today. Maybe it was the new bar and chain? Compression was 100psi before, I haven't measured lately. The easy way out is to part it out on eBay...

Status
Not open for further replies.