Worth saving assorted metal for salvage $

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Is it worth putting aside assorted household metal for a trip to the salvage yard to get some money for it.
I have a 6x12 landscape trailer. Probably be a couple of years of accumulation. Is this a waste of time? Should I just post it for free on CL?

Is it worth putting aside assorted household metal for a trip to the salvage yard to get some money for it.
I have a 6x12 landscape trailer. Probably be a couple of years of accumulation. Is this a waste of time? Should I just post it for free on CL?

Steel = not worth it. Most of the recycle financial benefit is saving dump tipping fees.

Yes. I save all mine to avoid the exhorbanant prices they charge for steel. At some point, I'll sort through it, and load up the trailer with all that I can't forsee using in some future project. Keep in mind that I might be diagnosed with the hoarding mental illness at a not-to-distant future date.

Right now it really is not worth it if you have to drive very far. We still do it because even though it doesnt pay well it is still cheaper than dump fees and why send stuff that can be reused to a landfill anyway. I have not had much luck with adds on cl to get rid of it. You generally get allot of really shady people showing up. And the last time i tried my add clearly said that i had most of an f350 which was cut in half and had no axles with pics. 3 different people showed up one in an s10 and the other 2 in rangers. They all took a little but i ended up having to haul most of it myself anyway. And that was for a month after that was the only time i locked my doors in 15 years at this house. They were all really shady characters.

Reactions: Highbeam
if you have it in a trailer, and want to go out for a drive, its worth it. otherwise, probably not with teh current rates. if you have copper, brass, or aluminum, it is a little better. A little while back, it was hard to get people to take stuff, because the rates were so low, and gas was so high, that it wasn't worth it to drive to the recycle yard.

I keep a bucket in the basement and throw any old metal I have into it. Larger items (sinks, etc.) go by the shed. The recycle place is almost on my way to work, so it's not a big deal to swing through there once or twice a year. At most, I get enough for a large coffee and a pastry at the bakery, but I'm keeping it out of the landfill.

Reactions: bholler
I keep a bucket in the basement and throw any old metal I have into it. Larger items (sinks, etc.) go by the shed. The recycle place is almost on my way to work, so it's not a big deal to swing through there once or twice a year. At most, I get enough for a large coffee and a pastry at the bakery, but I'm keeping it out of the landfill.

That was my experience as well. I brought a whole truckload of matted, twisted, bloody, barbed wire fence from a fence replacement project I did and got like 3$. Hey, I need to unload it somewhere and at the dump the minimum charge is 27$ for up to 400#. I would give it to the recycler just to avoid dump fees.

Reactions: bholler
Getting something is better then paying dump fees.

Hmm, any metal I leave in front of the house is usually collected in a couple of hours by some salvage collector. Last big item was an old steel tub a few months ago.

I save the scrap metal and bring it up to the salvage yard maybe once a year . . . but the salvage yard is in the city where I work so I just end up taking a long lunch break.