Worth the swap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 30, 2017
Cape Cod
Hi folks. Looking for advice. I currently burn a Garrison model 1 as our primary heat source in a 1700 sq ft split level ranch on Cape Cod. I've recently been offered an Atlanta Homesteader 2401-u. I haven't looked at it yet but my question is...if it is in good shape is it worth the switch? Thanks for any and all input.

I wouldn't bother.

Yeah so this particular trade would be a sideways move to be sure, no real advantage. It's worth pointing out though that mos tolder Garrisons that I've seen show some signs of aging, either baffles worn out or exterior cracking. Point is, if it hasn't given you trouble yet that's great! But it IS likely time to consider replacement, and it's cool that you're looking around. Let us know what else comes your way! G 1 is a big stove too, so I guess you'll be looking for a big guy to replace it with.