Worth trying to fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
Only about a year old - but I think it may not be safe using it after repairing.

broken.jpg

Only about a year old - but I think it may not be safe using it after repairing.

View attachment 151269

My Dad made tools for a living, I've seen him repair stuff like this. He would have wedged/pounded in metal shavings and then welded it. Problem would be that over time, the weld might get split or broken, and you would not be able to harden the metal at home without a pretty heavy duty torch. Thing is, the handle looks like an estwing, there should be a lifetime warranty on it.

Last edited:
Looks to me like a fiberglass handle, They are usually epoxied in from the factory. You could either re-epoxy, or get a wood handle from your local hardware store. If its a no name sledge to begin with, junk it cause the steel is probably no good anyways. I just bought a brand new estwing with plastic handle for like $15.00 at homedepot.

Get a new handle and it will be like new again. You could go wood or fiberglass(epoxy kit to attach it). There are a few tricks to setting a wood handle. Go on you tube lots of info there.

I didn't realize Estwing tools have a lifetime warranty. The label wore off this, I could see ER and the end of the name. I ended up giving the end to someone who routinely gets cash for metal. I'll buy an Estwing or other good quality one next time, certainly would be worth $15. Good tip re: repairs on Youtube. I found the tool good for setting the wedge in the wood before hitting it with the sledgehammer with the long handle.

Looks like its their all-steel hammers only, thought it was for all their tools.

" ESTWING FULLY WARRANTS ITS ALL- STEEL HAMMERS AGAINST FAILURE IN NORMAL USE, BUT DOES NOT WARRANT ITS TOOLS AGAINST MISUSE, ABUSE, OR WEARING OUT." http://estwing.com/warranty.php

Last edited:
Makes sense - I guess an all-steel hammer would be hard to break! Either way Estwing is a good choice. I had one for 28 years until I believe someone from a roofing crew accidentally took it. Bought another Estwing.

Either way Estwing is a good choice.

I can look out my office window and see their manufacturing plant and distribution center. If they are making big tools I can even feel the pounding of their presses on occasion. I can vouch for "made in America".

Note: And Ramsplitter is two blocks away.;) http://www.ramsplitter.com/ (I have no affiliation other than it being a local company.)

Last edited:
One of my mauls came unglued after 7-10 years. I glued it back on with JB weld and it has been holding for about 5-6 years now. Glue it and use it.

I'll bet those presses at Estwing are plenty powerful. That's gotta be loud inside the factory! Looked up JB Weld, next time I'll try that since it's worked for several years.

Ended up getting a Kobalt as a replacement. Hope they're good, I have a Kobalt sledge hammer with the long handle. No trouble with that so far.

Kobalt is the Lowes house brand and is generally good stuff. It will not likely stand up to too many bad strikes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.