would a cup of wood pellets be safe for starting a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
The video made by @ABMax24 got me excited about using a cup of wood pellets to turbo a cold start. Using Tractor Supply's heat25NC online coupon, I have a discounted bag of pellets waiting for me at the local store. Before heading over to pick them up, I thought I should think a bit more about this before it's too late to return the bag. (I know much of this 50# bag will likely turn into garden mulch come spring.)

Cruising the web, confirms my thoughts that adding wood pellets to an active fire is not a good idea for a wood stove and can cause damage. That's not in my plans, but would using a cup of pellets in a lunch paper bag be safe to help start a fire? I'm hoping it'll reduce the amount of kindling I will need.

Another question, from a cold start, how easily do wood pellets catch? I've discovered that slices of compressed sawdust logs need some good kindling flame before they start.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

The video made by @ABMax24 got me excited about using a cup of wood pellets to turbo a cold start. Using Tractor Supply's heat25NC online coupon, I have a discounted bag of pellets waiting for me at the local store. Before heading over to pick them up, I thought I should think a bit more about this before it's too late to return the bag. (I know much of this 50# bag will likely turn into garden mulch come spring.)

Cruising the web, confirms my thoughts that adding wood pellets to an active fire is not a good idea for a wood stove and can cause damage. That's not in my plans, but would using a cup of pellets in a lunch paper bag be safe to help start a fire? I'm hoping it'll reduce the amount of kindling I will need.

Another question, from a cold start, how easily do wood pellets catch? I've discovered that slices of compressed sawdust logs need some good kindling flame before they start.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
That's fine

The wood pellets are not real easy to light, you're not going to be very successful using a normal match or lighter, being the reason I use birch bark and a propane torch. I'm sure you could use paper or cardboard to help out, although I've never tried.

Here is the video referenced in the first post:

Reactions: Tar12
My little propane torch is going into the 3rd season of use on the same tank..makes starting a fire so much easier and quicker...

Thanks @bholler for your succinct answer.

After seeing @Highbeam and @ABMax24 use their torches, I bought one this weekend, to the dismay of my wife. I'll follow the literature warnings and keep it outside & away from kids when not in use. I'll give it a try soon. Cheap gamble as it was only $6 for bottle and lighting torch head after Ace discounts and rewards. Plus handy to have around the house whether or not I deciding torching isn't for me.

Thanks @bholler for your succinct answer.

After seeing @Highbeam and @ABMax24 use their torches, I bought one this weekend, to the dismay of my wife. I'll follow the literature warnings and keep it outside & away from kids when not in use. I'll give it a try soon. Cheap gamble as it was only $6 for bottle and lighting torch head after Ace discounts and rewards. Plus handy to have around the house whether or not I deciding torching isn't for me.

You’ll love it. Most can be turned down to be pretty quiet and not violent. Just a whisper of blue flame.

I love my propane torch, mine came with three different tips, I use the largest swirl tip for lighting the stove. I think I'll be abut 2 years per bottle, but the green camping ones work too.

I got the 40 lb bag of pellets home today. I tried throwing some on some coals today just to see if they'd speed up burning down the coals. They didn't. Like you said, they aren't easy to start. I'll experiment. Otherwise, according to the internet, there are other uses for the pellets.

Last edited:
Take a 3 pound coffee can, fill it to the first ring with pellets, pour in one bottle of Heat (the gas line antifreeze). Put the lid on, leave it sit, and the pellets will swell to almost fill the can. Take a handful and place it in the stove. Put the lid back on the can. Touch a lit match to the pellet dust in the stove and be amazed.

I started my shop pellet stove this way for years. A can will last a long time if you keep the lid on. It is much easier, cleaner, and cheap too.