Would this work for a small woodshed until I can build a better one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Hufford

Dec 24, 2012
Jefferson City, Missouri
I'm planning on building an outdoor building/woodshed in a year or two, but that needs to wait until I have the extra money and time. For right now I don't have any place to store wood to keep it out of the rain/snow. So I had an idea to stack it under these steps, I would put pallets on the concrete, then use something on the bottom side of the steps to keep the rain or snow out, and as you can see it would be very close to the door that I bring wood into. Any reason why this wouldn't work? There is actually quite a bit of room under there but it is hard to tell from that angle. I know it isn't the best picture and I can get a better one later, just the only one I had of these steps at the moment.

8592840166_b845259822_b.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I would box in the steps and maybe use some of the lattes on the side. BamB! :)

I think it would work fine for storage. May not season well due to lack of airflow though.

My thought - box in the steps as smoking suggested. Pallets on ground. Fill with seasoned wood in the fall after a few dry days. Leave empty during the non burning months. I dont like leaving wood stacked close to the house year round, especially non-seasoned wood.

Will work for keeping you wood dry & easy access to burning.
Fill it in the Fall with wood that's been seasoned & dried , (ready to burn stuff).
How much you figure it'll hold?

It won't dry in that spot.:cool:

But if you start with dry wood and store it there, you should be good to go.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
If you only use it as a staging area (before it goes into the house) and not a seasoning area, it should be ok.
I would attach some vinyle siding (house side up) under the stairs to shed water away. It probably won't stay 100% dry, but it will stay mostly dry.

I'd do like Lee mentioned....get a piece or two of metal roofing and install it under the stair stringers......
That would be a great staging area for already-dry wood, but as the others already mentioned, it won't season very well there. Not enough wind flow....

Definitely a good place for wood in the winter. Just make sure it is dry before you put it there and all will be well. You'll appreciate it.

As for those who scoff at drying the wood first, you only dry it first if you want to burn the best wood. If you are satisfied with "almost ready" or high moisture wood, then fine but you are simply asking for problems. That is difficult to understand why someone would knowingly do something that would cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.