Would you buy a Pellet Stove again???????????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itworks

Jul 23, 2008
Southwestern CT
This question is directed to those of you who have owned and operated and have burned at least two tons of pellets in a season.

Knowing what you now know, do you think you would make the same decision in buying your original stove?

Steve

Knowing what i know now i would not have bought my original stove....the Lopi. i would have spent the extra money and gotten the Harmen (the stove I currently own). Still beats the hell out of wood. Hate lugging wood around. And I have never gotten a pellet sliver stuck under my fingernail.

Yes I would. I don't have adequate space on my
property to store wood so a wood stove isn't an
option for me. But I think even if I had the room
I wouldn't be interested in the stacking, shlepping,
bugs, etc. I love my pellet stove!
Only thing I may do differently if I am ever able
move to another house is, I would get an
Englander next time. Great stoves
and the support from the company is outstanding.

SparkyDog said:
Knowing what i know now i would not have bought my original stove....the Lopi. i would have spent the extra money and gotten the Harmen (the stove I currently own). Still beats the hell out of wood. Hate lugging wood around. And I have never gotten a pellet sliver stuck under my fingernail.

Which Lopi model did you have and what problems did you have with it?

Thanks.

I would and I am looking for a second one to go into my fireplace, was going to go with a wood stove in case of power failure but figured I already have the pellets and did not want the hassle.

itworks said:
This question is directed to those of you who have owned and operated and have burned at least two tons of pellets in a season.

Knowing what you now know, do you think you would make the same decision in buying your original stove?

Steve

Hey, we'll do presidential polling next!

Just an obvious point - most of the folks who WOULD NOT buy one again are not hanging out in the Forums....
:cheese:

As an example, go into the Hearth Room and start a poll "Would you burn oil instead of wood?" and see what happens. We are asking the choir here whether or not they go to church.

It is an interesting question, though, but the only way you could even get an answer that is anywhere near accurate would be to poll every home in some sample areas with the questions of:
Do you have a pellet stove
How long have you had a pellet stove
And then get into the idea of whether they would do it again.

Only those who have had one for three years or more would be relevant, since there is obviously an initial bloom when a product is first purchased and used.

We'll find out a lot in the next few years. Past history is not always an indication of the future - BUT, I would say that of the tens of thousands of pellet stove purchasers in the "first run" of Pellet stoves (mid-1990's), a large percentage have stopped using them...

All in all, this is a tough question that we will probably never get an accurate answer to....because it is in no ones interest to really know.

I've been burning pellets since 2000/2001. Yes, I would buy a pellet stove again (I actually am on my second), but I would not buy the same model I originally did again (which I didn't).

My only reason for not buying the Englander again is that it doesn't run very well at the very lowest output settings, which is where I most often wanted to run it since its installed in a small area. Other than this, and not having an ash pan, it's a great stove.

Webmaster said:
itworks said:

Steve

Just an obvious point - most of the folks who WOULD NOT buy one again are not hanging out in the Forums....

As an example, go into the Hearth Room and start a poll "Would you burn oil instead of wood?" and see what happens. We are asking the choir here whether or not they go to church.

It is an interesting question, though, but the only way you could even get an answer that is anywhere near accurate would be to poll every home in some sample areas with the questions of:

Only those who have had one for three years or more would be relevant, since there is obviously an initial bloom when a product is first purchased and used.

We'll find out a lot in the next few years. Past history is not always an indication of the future - BUT, I would say that of the tens of thousands of pellet stove purchasers in the "first run" of Pellet stoves (mid-1990's), a large percentage have stopped using them...

All in all, this is a tough question that we will probably never get an accurate answer to....because it is in no ones interest to really know.

Agree 100%. I bought my Harman P61A for 600 bucks (including hearth and pipe) from a guy who hated it. He thought it was too much hassle and overall not worth the effort. This was back when oil was 2.50 per gallon, so i'm not sure if he'd feel differently about it today, but clearly pellet stoves are not for everybody.

Yep, enough said.

I dunno, I think its a decent question. THere could be someone here thats had a ton of problems and isnt here because he likes pellet stoves, he's just here because this is a solid place to get advice. I do think that there is some truth to what you say, if people REALLY didnt like thier stove they'd have them on craigslist in lowell for $4600
D'oh

Webmaster said:
itworks said:

Steve

I'd buy the exact same stove in a heart beat, but not at an inflated price. We bought ours during the first tax holiday here, and I still consider it a wise decsion. They're not for everyone, but I have no problem handling 40 lbs. or doing my own maintenance, so that helps.

I only picked up my 2nd stove (the harman) because the price was right. 2 stoves is obviously twice the work and I would never have taken the plunge at retail price. For 600 it was worth the experiment (heating my home with 95% pellets) and so far it has worked out great.
The primary stove (my St Croix) has been awesome too, but I stay right on top of the maintenance. If you don't do at least what the manual recommends you are most likely headed for a disappointing pellet stove experience.

Yep, if I had to do it over again, I would. Don't regret my XXV for a minute.
We were window shopping this past winter for a second pellet stove or NG gas stove,
but decided to hold off for now, until the stampede of panicked buyers rushing to the stove
shops calms down some.

I am happy with mine. I meet the criteria since I have burn two bags through it. Hang on a second.

He said what?

Two tons?

Oh. Never mind. :red:

I absolutely would buy mine again.....no regrets at all.

Nope. Burned pellets for three years in my own home. Ran/worked at a stove store for 8 years. Wouldn't take a pellet stove for free. Not because of the stove end of the industry but the fuel supply. It's too up and down. I bought a pellet stove for two reasons, to lower my heating cost per year and to be "green". The green part was there but I never did realize a significant enough cost of heating to pay for the stove. When you look at btu to btu numbers pellets look good, but add in yearly maintenance costs, part replacement, electrical usage and fuel usage to go get the pellets and it just doesn't mathematically make sense for me AND I BOUGHT MY PARTS AT WHOLESALE. I remember a winter ('05) when my toesies got quite cool because the mills couldn't keep up. I know alot of you say I'm an idiot for nto buying 30 tons in the summer, however storage space is a real concern for alot of us. Now with that said for you folks on the east coast heating with home heating oil the math is likely a whole lot different when compared to me heating with NG.

Finally a pellet stove owner that wouldn't do it again. Thanks for your post and honesty. I called my gas Co. and they wanted $12,000 to hook me up. Add another $7,500 grand to take my oil burner and 330 gal tank out and replace it with a NG burner and that translates into a big OUCH! If I had a NG gas burner I would offer my Pellet stove on EBAY at a reasonable price.

richkorn said:
SparkyDog said:

Which Lopi model did you have and what problems did you have with it?

Thanks.

I had the smaller insert.. It was a decent insert. Needed to be cleaned too often. Was very picky about the kind of pellets it burnt. Always had to have the stove cranked pretty hi to get proper heat output. And it had issues with feeding the pellets properly in the hopper. I owned it for 5 heating seasons. It had its auger motor replaced by a less than reputable repair tech. I liked the fact that you could get a repair manual for it and pretty much do the work yourself (and not have to deal with the bad service techs)
I sold it to someone for a good price (to both parties).
Bought a Harmen Accentra Insert. Have one heating season under its belt. A little over 3 tons burnt.
Stove is rarely over 1/2 way in stove mode. And I love the rooom temp mode. Really makes the fall and spring easier to deal with. Large ash pan needs cleaning not as often. Though I still seem to do it once a week or so....it is because I am anal about cleaning (probably beacuse the lopi needed it so often) and not because it needs it. It does need a firepot scaping once a day (sometimes more depending on the quality of the pellet).
So I just like the Harmen much better.

With what I know today , I would have gone COAL. I have a rough time finding pellets and the cost is more than coal. More BTU'S with coal.

itworks said:
Finally a pellet stove owner that wouldn't do it again. Thanks for your post and honesty. I called my gas Co. and they wanted $12,000 to hook me up. Add another $7,500 grand to take my oil burner and 330 gal tank out and replace it with a NG burner and that translates into a big OUCH! If I had a NG gas burner I would offer my Pellet stove on EBAY at a reasonable price.
Wow, that's quite a different experience I'm having with converting over to NG in CT. My NG company just ran the line to my house last week. Cost? $0.00 dollars. I have two oil boilers and want to stay with two NG boilers. The NG company and Regal Supply in Hartford each rebated $600 toward the boilers. I bought two high efficiency direct vent boilers for $2075 (after rebates) shipped to my door. I installed my last boiler, so I'll install these as well. I still need to buy some parts to make everything functional, but I expect to come out of this conversion at under $3k.

I also have about 450 gallons of heating oil left in my oil tanks. I prepaid that oil last year @ $2.55 a gallon. I still have to get rid of all this oil, but I guess I'll just have to transport it away with my two diesel vehicles over time. ;-)

I got my Countryside in late 04 and have never rergretted it one bit. Corn pits or pellets they all are a lot cheaper than oil. Cut my heating costs by well over half. On the down side I sure do miss those radiators pumping out heat in the bedroom on cold nights. On the other hand for the cost I will just put on the long johns and sleep with the electric blanket on low.

Wet1 said:
itworks said:
Wow, that's quite a different experience I'm having with converting over to NG in CT. My NG company just ran the line to my house last week. Cost? $0.00 dollars. I have two oil boilers and want to stay with two NG boilers. The NG company and Regal Supply in Hartford each rebated $600 toward the boilers. I bought two high efficiency direct vent boilers for $2075 (after rebates) shipped to my door. I installed my last boiler, so I'll install these as well. I still need to buy some parts to make everything functional, but I expect to come out of this conversion at under $3k.

I also have about 450 gallons of heating oil left in my oil tanks. I prepaid that oil last year @ $2.55 a gallon. I still have to get rid of all this oil, but I guess I'll just have to transport it away with my two diesel vehicles over time. ;-)

It's all dependent on the utility. I have done a few NG conversions (as a contractor) for some folks back in the '80s. Back then, BGE would charge for just the materials and many people got hooked up for less than $1k. I suspect that most utilities are now charging for labor and this is making the decision less attractive. You would have to burn a LOT of gas to recoup the $12k investment, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Every local utility is different. I suspect that those areas that are serviced by separate gas and electric utilities may come in more competitively.

Careful how you transport that dyed fuel; you wouldn't want to "accidentally" get any in your fuel tank. The tax man is getting more aggressive and the dye is rather permanent...

Back on the topic at hand: I have been considering a pellet insert for our unused fireplace in the rarely used living room, but NG is really still a bargain. At any rate, I'll keep my eyes open in the coming years for a bargain when all the dust settles from the current panic situation.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.