Would you, or wouldnt you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wear old clothes including heavy gloves.Cut it free with axe or hatchet.Its worth itching for a couple weeks for that great of fuel..Poison Ivy hit me in late July for the first time in over 20 yrs,cleaning up brush/removing old fence in sister's yard.Its annoying & can be painful but goes away with certain topical solution/baths quicker than you realize.

I would also pass on the tree or wait until the dead of winter when the oils are not as active

that is too big of a vine to not get any on you

Even in the dead of winter there is sap to contend with.

Reactions: Thistle
I'd take an axe and chop about a foot off the vine where you will make the felling cuts. When the tree is down, just take that axe and slice the vine right off the tree. When done, just cut up that nice firewood and smile.

Poison ivy aint ever and aint ever gonna stop me from getting any primo wood. Ive had to contend with chiggers , ticks and yellow jackets about 3 weeks back that stung the fire outta me <> and your asking about a vine ?!? Cut the tree down and rip the vine off with your teeth nah just kidding bout the teeth. But cut it down and just pry it off were gloves you'll be fine.;) Man up dude !

I used a pick axe to pry my PI vine off a norway trunk, it came off easier than I thought.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
It wouldn't hurt to consider it to be poison ivy, even though that could very well be some kind of creeper vine. Assuming it could be poison ivy, and that vine has been dead for a while, you should be OK. Drop the tree, get some old gloves that you can throw away when done, and pull the vine off the entire tree BEFORE bucking it up. That vine should come off fairly easily, as the bark looks like it will mostly peel right off as well. Just make sure you get all the hairlet roots off too.

That is definitely poison ivy. But if you're not sure just rub your arm pit against!!! and wait a few days, time will tell<>.

I say cut it down and pull the vine off, then spray the area that had the vine with bleach and you should be good to go.

I never saw any creeper or grape vines with those hair like structures on them. Hair like rootlets on vines are indicative of poison ivy. I have seen poison ivy vines 4 inches in diameter.
You can always get a prescription for prednisone if you get a rash.
It's quite possible with precautions you may be able to harvest the wood with no consequences. Or you may get the dose of a lifetime.
Please keep us posted on what you do and or get.

I'm horribly allergic to poison ivy. Keep two weeks worth of oral prednisone and prescription creams on hand 'just in case'. Got it horribly bad this spring while dumping leaves/twigs into my chipper/shredder. I had moved in the place in December and had no idea the poison ivy in this area was so bad. A week later, the leaves came out and it was apparent that an entire section of my lot is covered with poison ivy. sprayed it with brush killer....and managed to clear the entire section with only some minor spots. The product I used was Ivy Block. If it has red hairs...take precaution. I've seen those guys an inch + in diameter. That one looks pretty doable though.

I do have a dead red oak about 50ft across my property line that I'm not touching despite my elderly neighbor saying I could take any standing dead trees. That thing is covered with poison ivy like I've never seen. It's almost like kudzu. Actually saw a Fisher going after a squirrel in it right after the leaves of the vine showed up.

Not a chance, it doesn't look like a big enough tree to bother with. I get severe reactions to poison ivy so I'd pass. :cool:

Reactions: Blue Vomit
I would take the vine off with an axe and take that BL in a minute. Remember that once the locust is cured, the bark will fall off easily. I would buck the logs and leave them on the ground for the winter. By the middle of spring that bark should be climbing off the rounds. Strip it and split it. The logs that is.

How sure are we this is poison ivy and not grape. Anything approaching that big at my place is grape.Someday I'll post a picture of my biggest grape, out by the gate. It's a good 6 inches or more in diameter.
The vine I can see has a lot of little hairy roots; Could very well be ivy. BV, drop it and then take more close-up pics of the vine further up the tree. Anyway, I would grab that BL for sure...protective clothing will keep you itch-free.

You mentioned someone cut it a while ago...we do this around the nursery on PI vines that we have found up to 4" diameters. It keeps them from fruiting more, providing birds more seedling PI ammo to drop and start growing in the fields.

Since it is Black Locust, try to drop the whole thing and be very dilligent about the dust coming in your face. While it is on the ground, see if you can spud the bark with the vine off of the wood before you proceed any further. Just get rid of the bark and root/vine oils entirely.

The Pros:
about 40 foot of standing dead primo black locust
straight, no bends, almost no bark
similar tree next to it measured about 15% on the MM https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/excellent-small-score.91139/
back the truck right up to it
about 2 miles from home

The Cons:
Im assuming that vine is poisen ivy
that may be the biggest poisen ivy vine Ive seen in a long time
I get poisen ivy, although not real bad
the vine goes all the way up the 40 foot tree

What say you?

View attachment 78591View attachment 78592
Don't worry about it 50%of the locust I cut has ivy on it,wear gloves,and long sleeves,go for it,the vine will peel of easily with a little help from your saw.

If someone killed it a bit ago, makes it easier to deal with. Uresol oil stays nearly forever though. You can help yourself out b by through ivy block on, it helps. Shower as soon ass you can. And don't go touching the clothes after. Also get some vinyl gloves. Those oils will penetrate latex gloves but not vinyl. Cheap throw away painters type go a long while.

My property is covered in similar sized ivy.i cut sections of it out to kill it. Spray the ground to get everything else. I get it very bad. And can't stand the weeks of prednisone. So I've learned a few tricks.

Id take the tree for sure leave the ivy there

Looks like PI to me. Hairy vine, right? I'm very allergic to it. We have a huge vine growing on a great big oak in our front yard. I stay away from it but a couple of weeks ago I had my arm down a gopher hole setting a trap, about 20 feet from that tree. I ended up with a bad patch of PI on my right wrist from roots of the vine spread out all around the tree, about a foot deep. I get systemic reactions to PI, meaning that if one part of my body touches the vine, leaf, or root I break out all over my body. It's not pretty. I've been miserable for two weeks now.
What ever you do, don't burn that vine! The smoke can be near fatal for someone who breathes it and is very allergic to it.

By the way, I found a good product that really helps with the itching because it scrubs the PI oils out of the skin. It's called "Zanfel." It's about $35 for a small tube but really works. Generic versions at one third the price work just as well.

Just took this picture a few minutes ago. This double vine is almost five inches wide about two feet above the ground. The vines snake all the way up the main trunk then branch out. I might try hooking up a chain and pulling them off with my tractor.

PI.jpg

yeah, i'm in the cut it down crew......the benefit from the black locust far exceeds that of not because of a little itching.....;lol

cass

I would have to be hard up beyond belief to waste my time on poison ivy wood! Those trees will fall and rot away if left up to me. Way too many PI free trees out there to even bother. ;lol

When I get PI I look like Rocky from the movie Mask so I stay away from it the best I can. ::-)

Status
Not open for further replies.