wow have you ever had to shut down do to wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mipellet1

Dec 13, 2013
mid mi
I can home house smelled like wood I could not figure out how. started watching the stove and watch my flame almost go out I was getting a nasty back draft was almost blowing out the flame the when the fan kick up tons of smoke poof and out came the smoke into the room. had the cap facing to the east a bit because the wind comes out of the west most of the time but not today lucky it has died down and I up and running again.

Bixby was having fits till we move the pipe away from the house some more. Elena had wind issue but to its defense winds was hitting 60. Snow banks now hitting 4 foot around house. Two more months at least of winter.

ya the wind was pretty bad today.

You can also install a High Wind Termination Cap that should take care of the problem!

I had a wind issue and what I did was just put a tee on the end of my termination w/ it open top and bottom. This took care of the issue 90% of the time. If it gets to bad stove just shuts down no smoke in the house.

I can home house smelled like wood I could not figure out how. started watching the stove and watch my flame almost go out I was getting a nasty back draft was almost blowing out the flame the when the fan kick up tons of smoke poof and out came the smoke into the room. had the cap facing to the east a bit because the wind comes out of the west most of the time but not today lucky it has died down and I up and running again.
It sounds like you don't have an OAK. With an OAK the wind pressure is pushing on both ports and has little effect on the stove.

Reactions: P38X2 and iceguy4
yup no OAK I going to add one this summer great advice about the different caps too thanks guys.

Reactions: briansol
When I first read your post I was thinking OAK... why wait?

Reactions: Harvey Schneider
money I have to buy a new wall tumbler so I don't have to put another hole in the wall that means shutting down and unhooking all the pipe and reinstall do have the time or money to shut down and do it.

I have heard of this happening to folks in the past who have their pellet stoves installed on the side of the house were the predominant wind blows.
And I have heard of folks who have the stove on the other side of the house (non predominant wind is ) actually have their stove pull a decent draft when the power goes out and not get any smoke in the house.
And also enough draft to let the remaining pellets burn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.