Wrong Vent Cap can cause gas fireplace problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gjacquin

Nov 23, 2021
St. Louis MO
Just a post to share information. My gas fireplace recently had issues - it would start up, but then go out and beep. I spent quite a bit of time messing with it, cleaning the pilot tube and flame sensor, replacing parts ... nothing solved the problem. Turns out roofers had put a new vent cap on, and it was different than what was called for in the installation manual. The roofing company made it right - they came back out and installed the correct cap - and now it works fine.

So beware that the vent cap can cause an otherwise perfectly working gas fireplace to malfunction.

Not sure what unit you have, but if the roofers put a B-Vent cap on a Direct Vent unit, it would definitely cause issues.
It would allow the burnt combustion air to intermix with the incoming fresh air & the burner would shut itself down
because it wouldn't get enough oxygen.

Thanks for the reply Daksy. I have a Travis Industries 864 TRV, manual calls for DuraVent 46DVA-VCH but the cap they put on looks just like the one in the picture I attached. I see now it's a B-type, whatever that means. Too bad roofers don't know better. Caused me a lot of time, frustration, and cost.

Fireplace Cap.jpg

B-Vent uses combustion air from inside the building the unit is installed in.
Direct vent has a coaxial pipe. The outer ones draws air in thru the cap &
the inner one exhausts the spent gases thru the cap ABOVE the intake.
Your B-Vent cap was mixing the incoming & exhaust gases & the burner was
starved for oxygen.

Makes total sense. Hence it would fire right up no problem, then shut itself down. I wonder how many people have non-working fireplaces due to roofers' ignorance of vent caps.

Reactions: DAKSY