WTB: Fisher Grandpa bear square doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomseal6

Burning Hunk
Aug 21, 2019
MI
Fisrt off,

Can I swap out the cathedral doors on my fisher grandpa bear for square doors?

And if so, I'm looking for a set of square doors.

Doesn’t the cathedral doors have a cathedral opening?
And doesn’t the square doors have a square opening?
FYI: I have an eye for seeing things others don’t !!!

The opening and door seal is the same.

The only model with an arched opening is the XL.
The hinge ears are spaced differently.
When changing any doors from one stove to another you normally need to move the hinge brackets on the stove. Doors are from different pattern sets and different foundries. When the stove was made it was sat on its back. The door seal is welded to face, and doors are sat centered on the seal. The hinge plates are then tack welded in position and doors are tested. If they sit flush on seal and are centered, the hinge plates are welded fully. Since they are a custom fit, another door very rarely will fit without repositioning the hinge plates.

The screen that locks on with handles will work with either door. (Contemporary Model with chrome frame)The Newer style screen with solid ears requires the new style doors since it will hang on the upper hinge ears of the door, and not reach down to the lower hinge ears on a square door. The hinge ears are farther apart on a square door.

This shows the rectangle door sealing lip, the same size as on a square door to fit the seal channel. This is a Series III Glass that uses flat gasket material in door seal channel, unlike solid doors with no gasket.

eBay $1018-7.jpg

Here is a mis-matched screen for Cathedral doors on a square door. Notice the hinge ears do not reach down to the lower hinge plates to fit properly behind door hinge ears. This will not hold the screen tight to stove face.

Insert Screen mismatch 3.jpg

When a seller is claiming they are selling a Grandpa, if the door opening is arched, it is the coveted XL.

eBay 12-2013 3.jpg UT 6936 inside.jpg The XL is the only solid door stove that does not use the 1 inch channel iron door seal. (Series IV Glass doors use gasket on door with no channel iron seal) There is only a flat steel strip welded on edge to seal in the XL door groove.

Well I stand corrected. I just learned to not be a smart a** without doing research.
That's OK, I noticed the difference between Grandma and Grandpa can be seen in pictures by the distance between the trees at center.
Steve, the welder at Georgia never noticed that, seeing them in person all those years since the size difference is huge. I never noticed the arched cut out on an XL until recently and have had one for years.