WTF🤣 temperamental pilot flame.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eaglecarver

Oct 13, 2018
Mid Coast Maine
Hi All. Anyone run into this issue with your Jotul, proflame 2 pilot light?
it doesn’t matter whether I use the stove or not the pilot orifice clogs every couple of weeks. In other words I must either tap the pilot assembly or more often than not, disassemble it, blow it out and reassemble in order for it to produce a flame that reaches the thermocouple.
as you could imagin, this is getting old🤨.
as far as I can tell it’s clogging with rust particles from the pilot assembly.
I live next to salt water and suspect that the salt air may be the culprit , however sure I’m not the only one who resides next to the shore that owns a gas stove.
is this problem pervasive or unique?

any suggestions on how to solve this pilot problem would be greatly appreciated.

There is nothing that can rust in the pilot assembly. Any rust is coming from the main gas line. Drip tees, or sediment traps are installed for this reason. Have you opened a trap to blow out debris?

NoI haven’, I’ll give it a try.
However, the body of my particular pilot assembly is steel and is rusting badly.
in a perfect world the body would be a non reactive metal.
cheers👍🫡