Jotul with low pilot flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NHJan

Nov 2, 2020
New Hampshire
Hi,

I have a Jotul Allagash GF3 DVII direct vent stove. It's 10-15 years old. The stove worked pretty well until last year. Then it became slower to light and would thump on when the burner finally went on. This year, the pilot stopped lighting easily and the burner wasn't fully lighting when I could get it to light.

I pulled the burner and cleaned out the burner orifice which was badly clogged with mostly rust debris. I tried to clean the pilot orifice however I couldn't get the pilot head off since it was too stuck on. Therefore, I bought a new pilot/ignition assembly and installed that.

Now the pilot lights instantly (yeah) but the gas is still not coming out enough to engulf the thermopile, thermocoupler, and reach the burner tube so the pilot eventually shuts itself off. I couldn't get the burner to light either since the flame doesn't reach the burner tube. The length of the pilot flame is about the same as it was before I changed the assembly.

I tried adjusting the pilot screw (located to the upper right of the flame adjustment knob) but literally nothing changed.

Is there something else I need to clean out to get the gas to flow more strongly?

I am wondering if the gasket within the Off/Pilot/On knob needs cleaning or changing?

Can I safely blow compressed air into the hole where the pilot connection tube attaches to the Control Box? And would it make a difference?

Any and all insights greatly appreciated!

Pressures in & out of the valve are what I'd check.
Maybe you know someone who will lend you a manometer.
Quick update - It works now! I ordered a Manometer on Amazon but in thinking more about it I decided to take off the new pilot head and clean it and the pilot orifice just for fun, although they are brand new. Success! There must have been something in there because the pilot flame is awesome now and the burner flame lit right up! Thanks for your help and support. Woohoo!

Reactions: DAKSY