X27 Convert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MEngineer24

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2020
WV
Well I have to admit I’m impressed! My whole life I’ve used an 8lb maul to split wood. My area is 98% hardwoods and the maul is everyone’s go to hand tool. I used to sell firewood while I was in high school for some gas money. So I’ve done my fair share of splitting by hand. Once I got my own place and got the wood stove set up my next purchase was a 27 ton hydraulic splitter. Well I left behind my old 8lb friend somewhere along the way and decided it was time to get a new one. After seeing all the love on here for the x27 I thought why not. Well dang, this thing is the best splitting hand tool I’ve ever used. Wood just bows down before it! So if your hesitant just get it you won’t be sorry.

Those Swedes sure know how to design an axe.

Personally I like the shorter X25, I feel I have more control. I also have their 8lb maul. They are worth every penny.

Reactions: EbS-P
I bought both x27 and maul as well. It's a good team!

Reactions: EbS-P
Those Swedes sure know how to design an axe.

Personally I like the shorter X25, I feel I have more control. I also have their 8lb maul. They are worth every penny.

Finnish, not Swedish.

Screenshot_20211220-075340_Firefox.jpg

Finnish? But I've hardly even started....
Isn’t that the truth! Wood hoarding anonymous is what this site should be renamed too! Can’t ever have to many years worth of the good stuff stored up.

Reactions: Vg3200p
It's all good. What better addiction than one that makes me exercise, be outside, and provides carbon neutral and free heat to my family...

Last edited:
It's all good. What better addiction than one that makes me exercise, be outside, and provides carbon neutral nd free heat to my family...
Couldn’t agree more!

Unwrapped an x27 this morning from Santa wifey. She claims to not like the stove but when it’s lit guess what part of the house she’s in! Anyways the x27 got broken in on a piece of yellow pine, had to pick my hits but it took it apart. The 8 lb Maul wouldn’t even touch it. ==c

Reactions: MEngineer24
Unwrapped an x27 this morning from Santa wifey. She claims to not like the stove but when it’s lit guess what part of the house she’s in! Anyways the x27 got broken in on a piece of yellow pine, had to pick my hits but it took it apart. The 8 lb Maul wouldn’t even touch it. ==c
They sure are sweet! I just busted up a bunch of red oak today with ease. In the past I would’ve gotten out the hydraulic splitter rather than deal with the maul. Not anymore, I actually enjoy splitting wood with it!

041B7722-EA43-4484-9887-CC058C699EAB.jpeg

So I just tried the x27 out on some oak rounds I left laying in the woods in ‘18. 14” rounds or so, tree was dead/dying. Anyways...line the first one up and hit like I was hitting the pine, not sure where that split went but it splits way easier than yellow pine! ;lol
I was even able to split it with the regular ol double bit though not as easy as the x27. After the first one exploded never to be seen again I started taking them apart golf club style. Had a sxs bed full split and wasn’t even getting warmed up! Also I had the x27 tuned up with a stone prior to this trial...I’ve somehow acquired a sense of pride in keeping all my cutting utensils stupid sharp.

So I just tried the x27 out on some oak rounds I left laying in the woods in ‘18. 14” rounds or so, tree was dead/dying. Anyways...line the first one up and hit like I was hitting the pine, not sure where that split went but it splits way easier than yellow pine! ;lol
I was even able to split it with the regular ol double bit though not as easy as the x27. After the first one exploded never to be seen again I started taking them apart golf club style. Had a sxs bed full split and wasn’t even getting warmed up! Also I had the x27 tuned up with a stone prior to this trial...I’ve somehow acquired a sense of pride in keeping all my cutting utensils stupid sharp.
Turns wood into hot butter. Very good splitter!