X27 Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TN_WOOD said:
FLINT said:
nice video.

I'm still wondering exactly how they changed the head design. Is there now more or less of a flare/taper to the head? Is the weight the same?

Weight is the same.
Not sure if there is much of a change to the flare/taper.

The leading edge of the blade (the portion that you sharpen and the portion that hits the wood) is longer/taller.

The older super splitters' head was more rectangular. The new x series heads are more trapezoidal when viewed from the side.

There is more info on the arborist forum website

The head weight on the new Fiskars is 4.03 lbs compared to 4.25 for the old head.
The old head also has more flare to it.
The overall length of the old head (cutting edge to poll) is a bit longer.
The distance from the cutting edge (which is taller as you pointed out) to the point of maximum flare is slightly shorter on the new head.
Also on the new head the flared portion narrows more rapidly as you go back from the cutting edge. This may offset the wider cutting edge when it comes to penetration depth that some people are worried about. You will have the added friction of the wider cutting edge but less friction from the sides of the head.

To get a really accurate comparison between the new head and old head we need someone to use the old 28incher and the new 28incher and give a report.

I had a chance to bust up some rounds today. I was skeptical that it could be as good as my 28in super splitter but not anymore. I thought it might be too long for someone my height (5-8) to swing executioner style, but it is doable. I can't get quite as good a snap as I do with the super splitter but it still splits very well. Where it really shines for me is the roundhouse swing. I'm able to get much faster head speeds than I've ever had before, it's like swinging a wiffle ball bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.