XXV auger jamming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

XXV applehill

Jul 5, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The motor turns the auger and stops. I have removed all the pellets and manually turned the auger back until it jams, I plug it back in and turn it on, it turns the auger until it jams. Do you think I need a new auger? I have vacuumed all fines out and ran the tests offered on this site. Don't know what to do next. Thanks

Take the auger motor off
remove the auger and check for foreign bodies
check bearings and lub
test the motor

Take the auger motor off
remove the auger and check for foreign bodies
check bearings and lub
test the motor
Thanks, I removed the motor gear and chain. Tried turning the auger by hand before removing it. Played with it back and forth several times and suddenly it turned freely. I checked the burn pot to see what came out. WOW, was I surprised to find a 4inch nail! Thanks again for everyone's input.

20220706_124357.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: vinny11950
That would do it

It’s rare, but sometimes things find their way into pellet bags at the factory. In your case, that nail was potentially damaging To the stove.

I posted a picture here last season of a workers glove that was in a bag of my Matra pine pellets. I wrote a comical email to the company about finding Vince’s lost glove in my pellets and asked for the other so I’d have a complete set. They didn’t send me the other glove, but we all had a good laugh over a couple emails.

The last couple years, I keep a big galvanized trash can that hold 5 bags of pellets and I sift them as I fill buckets to bring to the stove, so I would likely catch something like that nail. Several years ago before I did it that way however, I had a AA battery jam up the auger on my old Englander stove. In that case, I don’t know if it was in the Lowes pellet bag, or if we somehow dropped it in a bucket of pellets that sat near the stove hearth.