XXV distribution blower speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
I was due for a cleaning on my harman xxv ,and was noticing ,that before I cleaned it,it was running at low speed. I also noticed the top was rather hot for not running at max temp. After I cleaned it probe and all,it seems the stove will not go into high speed. I’m in my 14th year and never had any problems. Does anyone know what it could be,board broblem,or blower problem. Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

First thing on a XXV, spin the blower wheel. It needs to spin very freely. If not, remove and clean.They get crap built up between the rotor and the windings. The motor bushings get dry, sometimes even caked up hard oil. On the outsides of the "wheels" there are also bushings that dry out/go bad.

I'd suspect the blower. It should spin freely.

First thing on a XXV, spin the blower wheel. It needs to spin very freely. If not, remove and clean.They get crap built up between the rotor and the windings. The motor bushings get dry, sometimes even caked up hard oil. On the outsides of the "wheels" there are also bushings that dry out/go bad.
Motor not turning spins freely. Just not turning.

Check for voltage at motor wires. You also can make a wire set and plug motor directly into a house outlet to test it.
But right now you are down to- bad motor, bad control board, bad wiring.

Check for voltage at motor wires. You also can make a wire set and plug motor directly into a house outlet to test it.
But right now you are down to- bad motor, bad control board, bad wiring.
Looks like one side spins freely but the other side is very stiff.

I was due for a cleaning on my harman xxv ,and was noticing ,that before I cleaned it,it was running at low speed. I also noticed the top was rather hot for not running at max temp. After I cleaned it probe and all,it seems the stove will not go into high speed. I’m in my 14th year and never had any problems. Does anyone know what it could be,board broblem,or blower problem. Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.
Seems like one side of the motor spins free,and the other side is very stiff.

Well, they are hooked together,lol. each side connects to one side of the motor shaft. Look at it, they actually come apart pretty easy, but one side shaft adapter may be bad. But might be something you could glue, to get by for a while.
Remove unit from the mounting plates, things will get floppy, then you can unbend tabs, and pull stuff apart. The bushings in the outer ends,in the rubbers, just pop out.

Well, they are hooked together,lol. each side connects to one side of the motor shaft. Look at it, they actually come apart pretty easy, but one side shaft adapter may be bad. But might be something you could glue, to get by for a while.
Remove unit from the mounting plates, things will get floppy, then you can unbend tabs, and pull stuff apart. The bushings in the outer ends,in the rubbers, just pop out.
Picked up a new blower earlier may just replace.

Thank you all for your replies. It was the distribution blower. Replaced,and stove is running fine. Not bad for going on 14 years,it deserved a new blower. Happy holidays to all.

Reactions: gfreek and Mt Bob
Good, thanks for the update. Keep the old blower, disassemble it, clean and lube..as a backup..