XXV feed rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teeravis1

Does anyone know if the feed rate knob on the Harman XXV correlates directly to lbs/hr? So if I set the feed rate on 2 does that mean 2 lbs/hr? My manual never said. - Thanks

dealer told me the Harman rep wished they never put that one on there.Put it on 4 and leave it there is the advice I got.Still on my first bag (my 4 tons ordered and paid for in June is still not here !!!) but seems to work fine in my new XXV.

teeravis1 said:
Does anyone know if the feed rate knob on the Harman XXV correlates directly to lbs/hr? So if I set the feed rate on 2 does that mean 2 lbs/hr? My manual never said. - Thanks

Feed Rate knob sets the maximum rate the stove can burn at, kind of like a governor on an engine. Leave it on 4 for premium grade pellets and you will be fine. If you run the stove on room temp, then the stove will automatically burn the correct amount of fuel to heat the room. When it gets colder outside, it will burn more fuel. If you run stove temp then the temp dial will directly control pellet consumption. 1= 3/lb per hour.....7= 5 1/2 to 6lbs per hour. So in that case the temp dial indicates lbs/hr (more or less)

I saw the manual said to run on 4, but the manual does a very poor job of describing of how the controls affect the stove (what they do) I was running it on a feed rate of 3.5 to 4 but I was going through a lot of pellets about 1 bag every 9-10 hrs with temp set at 78. Now I have set the temp set at 75 and the feed rate at 2 and the house is staying at a good temp and I only go through a bag every 16 hrs about. Is it bad that I am running the stove on feed rate of 2? From what I am now understanding from the last post the feed rate is setting the max speed the stove will feed at, it does not mean it is always feeding at a rate of 4, is that correct? - Thanks again.

Also, does the stove automatically adjust the feed rate when on room temp to keep the temp.

The feed adjuster is a poor label for the control. We explain it as a percentage of max feed. Picture it this way. The stove in room sensor mode will burn as hot as possible to reach the set temp. If the adjuster is set too high the pellets may over feed the fire pot in start up. The pellets cant burn as fast as they are fed into the fire. The feed adjuster limits the high end feed rate. On max the stove can feed 60 sec out of 60 sec. If you lower the feed adjust to 4 it feeds max about 45 sec out of 60 sec. It gives the fire a chance to burn what is in the pot. In room mode the stove will settle when the temp is reached in the room. Basicly the temp in the room will be what you set but it just may take a bit longer to get there. It really doesn't effect how many pellets are burned given a certain temp desired in the house. If you can't get the set temp in the home just bump up the feed adjuster a notch so the stove can burn more fuel.

teeravis1 said:
Also, does the stove automatically adjust the feed rate when on room temp to keep the temp.

yes. the stove will automatically vary the feed to maintain the temp you have it set for.

Status
Not open for further replies.