XXV question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdphilps

My distribution blower rarely turns on anymore, if at all. And the stove never stop running. So its not like my room reaches temp and the dist. fan turns off and eventually the stove burns out......my stove continuously runs non-stop.

I'm in room temp mode.

Any ideas? Is this normal? From what I can remember of the last 2 seasons the stove will light....once it gets hot enough dist fan turns on.....warms room to desired temp....then dist fan turns off and stove slowly shuts down the fire until the nest time it needs to heat up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I forgot to mention that in Stove temp mode (auto ignition), the dist fan runs continuously (like it should)......so it is not a problem with the dist fan.

Thanks again!

clean the stove, in particular the exhaust area, also, remove the ESP prode and clean it......the ESP controls the distribution fan, as well as other functions

What pellets are you burning this year? I just heard Saturday that this year's NEWP pellets are burning hotter than last year's and some of the older stoves are having a problem with this (I think the ESP) and are not shutting down. Don't know wha tyou have for a stove or are using for pellets, but maybe the ESP and/or pellets are part of the problem.

Not sure of the exact brand. I got them at TSC and they are a red and black bag.

When I get home tomorrow, I'll look and get back to you.

Thanks!

mlwschultz said:
What pellets are you burning this year? I just heard Saturday that this year's NEWP pellets are burning hotter than last year's and some of the older stoves are having a problem with this (I think the ESP) and are not shutting down. Don't know wha tyou have for a stove or are using for pellets, but maybe the ESP and/or pellets are part of the problem.

Corret me if I am wrong, but I thought Summit has mentioned that in stove temp, the stove is controlled by the ESP in the exhaust. If burning hotter is a reason, shouldnt the dist fan shut down, realizing the stove is at a higher temp? Unless it is a faulty ESP and not related to the higher heat than before.

Again, my first year burning; and learning soooo much. I dont mind being corrected or having an answer explained, at least I understand how my stove actually works.............................

ESP probe controls some aspect of the operation regardless of the stove temp/room temp. IF the stove thinks its too hot, it will run the Dist fan to "dump" the excess heat. I agree with Lousyweather, likely a dirty ESP holding hot ashes near the probe.

mdphilps said:
Not sure of the exact brand. I got them at TSC and they are a red and black bag.

Thanks!

I'm burning Hardwood Heat from TSC. I'm also mixing in about 35% corn too.

I'll be doing a thorough cleaning tomorrow and will report back the results

Thanks everyone for your help!

mdphilps said:
mdphilps said:

Thanks!

I thought that the XXV was only supposed to be able to burn 10% corn max, don't know exactly where I heard that. Maybe at 35% corn it is to hot for that stove.

goatman-68 said:
mdphilps said:
mdphilps said:

Thanks!

I thought that the XXV was only supposed to be able to burn 10% corn max, don't know exactly where I heard that. Maybe at 35% corn it is to hot for that stove.

I thought it was 50%

Well you would know better than I would. I thought that when corn burns it produces hydrochloric acid and thats why the need for stainless steel exhaust components, again this is from memory......

yea, the gas is more corrosive burning corn.....something to do with the starches, etc

Well I did a good cleaning of the stove and after I fired it back up, the Dist fan was working as it should be (room temp mode). Great!

But after about 12-16 hours, we're back to the stove constantly running with NO dist fan at all.

So we're back to stove temp mode, and everything is working fine. I guess we'll just keep it here and adjust the stove temp and feed rate accordingly to try and keep the room at a consistent temp.

This XXV has been nothing but a problems since I bought it. I was sold on the "Ease of use" of a pellet stove, but it seems to me I have to constantly tinker with this thing.

:(

Make sure the exhaust is clean also pull the esp probe you'll find it just before the venting held in by 1/4 screw. even if you pull it and it is not caked clean it when you pulled it out it was scraped off. Also remove combustion blower and clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.