YASM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
(Yet Another Splitter Mod)

There were a couple of annoyances with my splitter. One was that the log outrigger on the work side continually dug into my thigh so I took the damn thing off. The other annoyance was that the split half on the far side sometimes teetered over the far side outrigger and I got tired of having to stand a couple of large rounds on that side to catch them.

So... I've been looking at the work tables that some others have made and thinking that would be nice. Then I start looking at the removed outrigger and figured I should be able to sister it up with the other one and so YASM was born.

The requisite pics and a couple of gratuitous ones too:
100_0341.JPG

100_0340.JPG

100_0343.JPG

100_0342.JPG

Thats thinking! and i like the way you work

Ja, I'm both cheap and lazy. Two small pieces of flat stock, ten holes drilled, and two bolts. I didn't have any short 3/8ths inch bolts so I had to use one 1/4" bolt and one 5/16th inch bolt until I get to the store.

I'm not looking forward to splitting that huge burl in the second pic. Serves as a handy side table in the meantime.

here lately I have been sawing them in to two or even 4 pieces (dont want to throw the back out again this year) Its kinda of toss up on where you want to put the most wear and tear.

smokinj said:
(dont want to throw the back out again this year)
I know what you mean but noodling is like accepting defeat. My splitter can convert from horizontal to vertical for the really big pieces but if I can lift the round, I will. I use a P-handle dolly to bring the really big rounds to the splitter. If I then lay the handle down on level ground, the log wants to roll toward the handle. I need to set it on something just high enough to stay put so that I can safely lift the round from its slightly elevated position and not have the dolly cut loose and trip me up.

My next mini-project is to put a hitch receiver and pintle hook on the underside of the beam at the base. Then I can captivate the handle of the dolly and it stays put while I lift the round off.

I want a hitch receiver anyway so that I can hitch up my dolly or a trailer behind the splitter and tow them both in one shot.

BTW, that poor man's work table holds the umbrella nicely in the stowed position. A couple of bungee cords, a gas can, the umbrella, and I'm pretty much set. Just need a spot for a cooler full of beer. That's where the extra trailer hitch would come in handy.

"My splitter can convert from horizonta to vertical " mine 2 but i throw my back out rolling a round that had a flat spot on it. That was 6 weeks ago and good to go now. You have a great systm there I would do the same if I was doing the work at my place.

That had to be painful bumping into that cribbing all the time...excellent idea moving it to the far side. I can see how it way more work friendly now, good job on the YASM LLigetfa.

In over twenty years of use I have never used my splitter horizontal. Why do that? Sit on a stump, sip a beer and just sit'em up under the ram.

I lift the round into the trailer. I lift it out. I carry the splits to the pile. Why lift the round onto the splitter? I have never understood that.

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
I thought you always replaced Y with J ?
You must be thinking of my use of the Norwegian word "ja", pronounced somewhere between "yah" and "yaw". Not a straight replacement for Y but a Y sound none the less.

BrotherBart said:
In over twenty years of use I have never used my splitter horizontal. Why do that?
I tried it in vertical once but it was killing my back with the bending and dragging the rounds into place. Can't see the point of sitting. The constant transitioning between sitting and standing would kill my knees.

I can carry rounds all day. It's faster and my back is better for it. To each his own. BWS likes to sit too, while his wife carries the rounds to him. I work alone.

I run vertical all the time as well - When I'm helping my friend, I sit in front of the splitter all day long, and he periodically pushes the pile of to be splits up to me with his front end loader on the right, and I toss the finished splits onto the conveyor on the left - only time I have to stand is when he's pushing the pile so I don't get buried, or to do "fluid exchanges"

When I'm doing my own splitting, I will pile as many rounds as I can on one side of the splitter to stage them, and then sit. I reach out and grab a round off the staging pile (often using a pulp hook to extend my reach another foot or two) split it, and toss the done splits to the other side. Depending on what size wood I'm dealing with I usually can stage about 20 minutes of sitting down splitting each time I stand up...

Gooserider

Often, when picking wood from the side of the road, that it's cut on such a severe angel, that splitting vertical doesn't work. It will slip out of the splitter.

That's when I put it aside and save all that stuff for splitting vertical. Gravity works.

That umbrella mod will be installed tonite. Great idea!
I also split horizontal 95% of the time, it is so much easier on my back. Converted from vertical after twisting around behind myself to try and reach one last block and spent my back, that was last spring and I still feel that twinge of pain now and then. It always seemed like after splitting vertical for long periods I would almost get locked in that sitting position.
I have found if I use a pulp hook to grab and lift the pcs. I do not have to bend nearly as much and seem to get good leverage to lift the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.