Yay! Finally a Subaru hybrid!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that simple. We have different emissions standards and different fuel. What works well in Japan or Germany won't necessarily work as well here. Google VW HPFP failures.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/uh-oh-vw-tdis-might-not-be-just-rosy-mpg-numbers/
The diesels Subaru sell are sold in New Zealand and Australia. Here is a great website about its design... http://boxerdiesel.com/engineering/en/index.html

And they meet euro 5 standars which seem to be similar to clean diesel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

Not to mention the diesel forester is rated to tow 1800kgs...wow!

It has to be tough for them. Japan is not a big diesel market at all, so for now this is primarily being developed for overseas markets. Mazda faced the same issues and yet from what I've read their diesel Mazda 6 is getting very positive reception in Japan. Hope that bodes well for Subaru too.

As far as the BRZ, I still think its best left as-is. You can make a strong case that it wasn't the best business deal for Subie, but I am SOOO glad that there are companies other than Mazda making cars like this. Its the only true RWD sportscar other than the Miata you can buy today for less that 60 grand, and not have to put up with all kinds of fancy electronic gizmos, driving aids, and such.

And for Toyota the decision to use the Subie engine was deliberate- the boxer 4 layout gives it a lower and more rearward CG (and thus more neutral handling) than is possible with a Toyota upright I-4.

If you add the turbo and AWD to it, it becomes........ a 2 door WRX. They already make a WRX.

More to the point, its designed to be a sports car and track day car, not a rally/all weather car. If you put two of them on a road course race track driven by pros, one RWD one AWD and everything else - the chassis and engine and brakes - unchanged from the current model, the AWD will loose.

I would give it more power and stickier rear tires, but that's all.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I assume you Canadians cannot slip across the border and buy new Subarus . . . but I imagine you must be able to get used Subarus? At least I know a few years back there were a lot of New Brunswickians coming down into Bangor and buying up all kinds of used cars . . . it was crazy how many used cars were being sold and how fast.

I assume you Canadians cannot slip across the border and buy new Subarus . . . but I imagine you must be able to get used Subarus? At least I know a few years back there were a lot of New Brunswickians coming down into Bangor and buying up all kinds of used cars . . . it was crazy how many used cars were being sold and how fast.

Yes we can get one down south... It is quite simple actually. There is a subaru dealer in NH who has a salesman who deals only with Canadians. The problem is financing is not available (must have a loan from canada or cash) and warranty. Subaru Canada has agreed that if you have a US car and have a problem you must take it to a Subaru dealer in Canada., pay for the repairs and send the bill to Subaru of America which will reimburse the costs. The paperwork takes about 1 hr at the border and you must pay provincial taxes upon arrival in Canada and have it inspected. :) But I would only get a model made in Indiana (legacy, outback) as I would not have to pay duties (thank you NAFTA).

agreed.

I bought a 2010 forester touring model a few years ago. It was a demo so I saved $4000. I still paid $30500 for it with a few bells and whistles... There is only one or two Subaru dealers in ns right?

There are two that I know for sure. Steele and Central Nova Motors.

As far as the BRZ, I still think its best left as-is. You can make a strong case that it wasn't the best business deal for Subie, but I am SOOO glad that there are companies other than Mazda making cars like this. Its the only true RWD sportscar other than the Miata you can buy today for less that 60 grand, and not have to put up with all kinds of fancy electronic gizmos, driving aids, and such.

I'm glad there are companies doing it myself!

And for Toyota the decision to use the Subie engine was deliberate- the boxer 4 layout gives it a lower and more rearward CG (and thus more neutral handling) than is possible with a Toyota upright I-4.

Of course it was deliberate.. The BRZ/FR-S is a Subaru design!! And Im certainly familiar with the benifits of the Boxer engine, but sticking a Subaru engine under the hood with a Toyota badge on back is akin to a Chevy powered Ford!

If you add the turbo and AWD to it, it becomes........ a 2 door WRX. They already make a WRX.

Nothing wrong with that! A "2 door WRX" with a completely different body style would appeal to a different buyer. If you want a 2wd, underpowered "drift car" buy a FR-S at the Toyota dealer. Best of both worlds.

More to the point, its designed to be a sports car and track day car, not a rally/all weather car. If you put two of them on a road course race track driven by pros, one RWD one AWD and everything else - the chassis and engine and brakes - unchanged from the current model, the AWD will loose.

Fair enough. But this test has never been done, has it? While the RWD is sliding all over the place, the AWD is getting traction. While the AWD has more parasitic losses and more weight, I dont think the 2wd winning is a slam dunk.

Plus, in my idea, the Subie version would automatically have more power to overcome any losses in the driveline, because it would have the driveline out of a WRX

I would give it more power and stickier rear tires, but that's all.

Yes, the BRZ needs both, my idea gives it that

First off, Im not opposed to them building an AWD variation, but please leave the RWD for purists...

Of course it was deliberate.. The BRZ/FR-S is a Subaru design!! And Im certainly familiar with the benifits of the Boxer engine, but sticking a Subaru engine under the hood with a Toyota badge on back is akin to a Chevy powered Ford!

Platform sharing happens all the time. Many Fords over the years that were rebadged Mazdas (Ranger), various GM vehicles are rebadged Holdens, Opels, etc. Jaguars were built from the Ford parts bin for a few years, Honda's first SUV was a Suzuki. That most famous "British" car the mini is now made by there old enemy in Munich. And the folks in Wolfsburg own a bunch of well known Italian Brands. And on an on.

Oh and dont forget the (in)famous SAABaru's. ;)

Fair enough. But this test has never been done, has it? While the RWD is sliding all over the place, the AWD is getting traction. While the AWD has more parasitic losses and more weight, I dont think the 2wd winning is a slam dunk.

Happens all the time. Put a 335i on the track against a 335i xdrive. Put a G37 Sport on the track against a G37xS. The car mags have done it. There is a youtube clip of exactly this kind of comparison test done with the G37 by Motorweek and the AWD lost every test except the 0-20mph jump off the line. slalom, breaking distance, track lap times all went to RWD.

I'm no pro driver, but I know pro drivers will typically prefer the RWD setup unless its a performance oriented rear biased AWD system like on the 911 Turbo. The Subaru system is designed for rallying. On dry pavement the symmetrical setup actually hurts the balance and steering feel and result in it under steering like an FWD car.

The RWD BRZ, driven by a pro racing driver, would only be 'sliding all over the place' on the track if the driver is doing it deliberately, like Jeremy Clarkson did in his review segment for Top Gear. (love it!!)

Plus, in my idea, the Subie version would automatically have more power to overcome any losses in the driveline, because it would have the driveline out of a WRX

Its not all about acceleration power in road racing. On a track a light car can at times out drive a heavy powerful car simply by being able to carry more momentum through the turns. Its fun to go to an SCCA vintage event and when the 1960's classes come up watch screaming first generation mini's embarrass big muscle cars through the twisties.

Status
Not open for further replies.