Yellow wood. What kind ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
Never have seen this kind. The one split is maple. The yellow????

Sorry. Here is the pic

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 359
Probably mulberry or black locust, you need to post a picture of the bark...... Thanks

Here you go

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 304
Mulberry, it's great firewood in 2-3 years.....

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks like mulberry. I split about half a cord of it this summer, seems like a pretty dense wood. Comparable to a red oak.

I don't know, bark looks wrong for Mulberry. Mulberry will turn from light yellow to red-ish brown in a matter of days. If not Mulberry then Black Locust.

Was either locust or mulberry and that's pretty darn sure that's mulberry bark

Another mulberry vote. Sweeps rates between red and white oak. Likes to spark and pop so watch opening the door when burning

it looks like a yellow pine to me. There are several species of pine with yellowish wood. I would think you'd smell pine if I were right.

Reactions: kjahnz
Mulberry when split usually has a milky white sap that runs out between the bark and the wood part if green, and is also very heavy when wet. And as others have said it will turn a reddish-brown color when drying.

it looks like a yellow pine to me. There are several species of pine with yellowish wood. I would think you'd smell pine if I were right.
Does yellow pine have noticeable medullary rays as seen in his 2nd pic, behind the piece with visible bark?

I'm voting mulberry

Mulberry if it turns almost dark brown shade in a couple days

It has turned a butterscotch/Amber color. I am thinking its mulberry. And FYI it is some dense wood. Very heavy especially when I split it. Thanks to everyone for your knowledge. I certainly learned something.

Here is a picture of 2 shades of mulberry, after that butterscotch color it is going to turn dark brown, I meant to post this picture last week, but it should help since you have seen it turn color already......image.jpg The brown splits were done in the late spring and the butterscotch was done over a month ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.