Yet another airflow question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

willisj318

Nov 16, 2022
United States
fireplace.png

I'm trying to figure out the optimal fan placement, I have an insert where the red and orange star thing is. We're on a slab, bottom floor of a cape cod. Typically I put a small floor fan in the 'foyer', blowing towards the bottom left bedroom, also there is no wall in between the living room and bedroom, it is one big room all the way across. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get the hot air circulating to the kitchen area without losing the airflow moving it around the rest of the room?

This looks solvable. Try this trick. Do you have a table or box fan? Set it in the left doorway and blow the LR air down at floor level, toward the BR, bath area. Run it on low speed. This will pull air from the kitchen into the stove room and a convective loop will pull warm air from the stove room to replace it. Or put the fan in the kitch/LR doorway on the floor blowing air into the stove room from that location. The effect will be about the same. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the room temp after about 30 minutes running. And the stove room temp should drop by a corresponding 5+ degrees.

Awesome thanks! I had a "stand fan?" last year but am going to get something like this. I know there are recommendations on this site somewhere, I'll search for them.

A simple, 3 speed box fan works well or a standard 12" table fan. The Honeywell fan might work ok too if it moves a lot of cfm and is quiet but it only has a 7" blade.

Here's a trick: Tape toilet paper to the ceiling walkways, then turn the fan on and watch to see if the hot hair at the top is infact being "moved" to the kitchen :)

Reactions: willisj318
View attachment 315388

I'm trying to figure out the optimal fan placement, I have an insert where the red and orange star thing is. We're on a slab, bottom floor of a cape cod. Typically I put a small floor fan in the 'foyer', blowing towards the bottom left bedroom, also there is no wall in between the living room and bedroom, it is one big room all the way across. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get the hot air circulating to the kitchen area without losing the airflow moving it around the rest of the room?
I'd run a box fan from the upper right of the dining room, blowing/ pulling the cold air from that corner through the kitchen into the living room, and create a loop.

I have a similar situation.

I use these .... they were a lot less expensive 4 years ago :mad:

I have a few of these for back up ... they do the job as well

Reactions: willisj318
Trying to move hot air with a fan can be an exercise in futility.

Take the shortcut to your solution and move the cold air from the cold rooms towards the stove. Floor level only.

You're welcome. ;)

Reactions: kborndale and Dix